Seeking ArcGIS Online Help

12-12-2017 10:26 AM
BobChristensen
Occasional Contributor

Hi, 

I have an arcgis pro project that I would like to convert to an arcgis online map so I can share it with colleagues. I have tried to do this via the share tab and the web map button but the resultant online map does not support turning layers on and off. I have not been able to figure out what I am doing wrong and so turn to the community for some pointers. 

I have several groups of layers in the table of contents and the map includes both raster and vector layers. 

Any help appreciated.

b

0 Kudos
8 Replies
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

I presume you have covered all the topics from the ArcGIS Pro help.. but why don't you hop the fence and see if there is anything mentioned in the ArcGIS Online help

0 Kudos
XanderBakker
Esri Esteemed Contributor

Can you share a screen cap with the parameters you are using in the tool to share the map?

There is a small tutorial here that might be interesting to check out: Share a web map—ArcGIS Pro | ArcGIS Desktop 

0 Kudos
BobChristensen
Occasional Contributor

I will watch the tutorial. I have reviewed the help files but I feel like I am still missing some details. It explains how to split layers, for example, but does not tell me why I would do this. Analyzing does not report any errors but I am wondering if grouped layers are not supported... The images below are from a current test that involved splitting layers. Not done uploading that one yet... Previous attempts have otherwise had the same configs.

Here are the screen grabs in the meantime.

0 Kudos
XanderBakker

Since you have raster data you are creating a tile service. You could publish each layer separately and add them to you webmap to enable switching layers on and off. 

0 Kudos
XanderBakker
0 Kudos
BobChristensen
Occasional Contributor

I watched the tutorial but did not learn anything new. I guess I am confused because I thought the purpose of sharing a map is that I can create a map that includes vector and raster data, then share it to arcgis online. I can share individual layers and then reassemble the map online but that does not seem like the most efficient way to get from arcgis pro to arcgis online. What is the point of the share a map button if I have to split out all the layers then reassemble in arcgis online?

Attempting to publish as a web imagery layer but still no joy.

https://ssp-community.maps.arcgis.com/home/item.html?id=b9abf687c219446ca36f9ae0ba69c652 

0 Kudos
CarmelConnolly
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi Bob, 

When you shared the ArcGIS Pro map as a Web Map in the Share tab, did a web map item appear in your Content?

For https://ssp-community.maps.arcgis.com/home/item.html?id=b9abf687c219446ca36f9ae0ba69c652, can you navigate to the Settings tab > Tile Layer (hosted) Settings > Show current tile details and post a screenshot of it here?

If the layer isn't displaying for you, the tiles might need to be build for it. When rasters are added to ArcGIS Online, they are treated differently to vectors and tiles need to be cached for them at different scales so they display.

Carmel

BobChristensen
Occasional Contributor

Hi Carmel, Thanks so much for checking in. 

I think I have worked things out. Your feedback was helpful. I have been choosing the option to automatically cache but I guess that does not insure that it actually gets built by the process initiated in arcgis pro.

I have also been getting hung up by the "split web layer" requirement for projects with multiple layers. I am wondering if it is possible to choose split web layers as the default?

I have a follow up question too - I am hoping to share a point file that includes links to photos from the field. Any tricks or tutorials on how to get that working?

Thank you.

b

0 Kudos