Select to view content in your preferred language

Seeking advice on the most efficient design approach for an app utilising layer groups

03-15-2024 08:46 PM
Labels (1)
Damian
by
New Contributor III

Dear AGOL Community

I am building a new app. Seeking advice on the most efficient approach to reproduce the functionality shown in the following app:

https://ausbats.maps.arcgis.com/apps/webappviewer3d/index.html?id=e8edf77adf1d489b897a2bb30c0c1394

Why?

Firstly, I am restructuring my underlying dataset. Instead of having 80 odd separate feature layers (on which the app above has been built), I am combining all feature layers into 1 feature layer for efficiency purposes.

Secondly, I would like to migrate to Experience Builder.

The main features/functions I would like to keep in my new app are to Group my layers, and to enable my users to turn individual species layers on and off.

My initial thought was to use a list widget to display and enable filtering all of my individual species, but I can’t see anyway to create ‘groups’ in a list widget.

My other thought is to add the same primary dataset as a layer to my underlying webmap 80 times, and then independently and manually filter each layer based on species. However this seems highly inefficient, especially if I wanted to tweak my symbology at some point for example, then I would need to manually change the symbology for all individual 80 layers.

Hoping someone can advise on the most efficient design approach for my app.

Regards, Damian

1 Reply
Damian
by
New Contributor III

Just to close the loop on this one...

Not ideal, but the final design I opted for was a list widget to display and filter all of my species. And instead of 'grouping' I opted for a filter widget to filter species based on my groups in my list widget. Screen grabs of my original app and my updated app below.

One possible alternative would have been to add a second list widget to act as a filter for my first list widget, but that would have involved creating an entirely new table in my backend which I didn't want to do. I encountered a couple of other technical difficulties as well. I hope ESRI comes up with a better grouping mechanism at some point, they appear to have taken a backward step with Experience Builder on this one.

Regards, Damian

Original...

Original.png

Updated...

Updated.png

0 Kudos