Section 508 / Accessibility with AGOL hosted maps

Jump to solution
11-13-2019 04:17 PM
SteveCole
Frequent Contributor

I've seen some resources on here regarding accessibility with SELF-HOSTED maps (such as this thread of links for the 2019 Dev Summit). If we are creating standard off the shelf maps or web apps hosted with AGOL or Portal, are there any extra concerns we should address with our map creation or do this canned map products already incorporate the needed accessibility additions (alt text, etc)?

Is there a presentation that is focused on Section 508 / Accessibility with the off the shelf web map products? I'll be tasked with putting together a map shortly that will need to take this into account and I want to make sure I cover all my bases outside of spelling out layer names, pop up content, etc.

[Also, I have seen the blog post about Accessibility and Story Maps. That is not what I will tasked with.]

Thanks!

Steve

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
DerekLaw
Esri Esteemed Contributor

Hi Steve,

> ... Section 508 / Accessibility with the off the shelf web map products?

I think your best option would be to use Web AppBuilder for ArcGIS to help you deploy a web app that supports accessibility requirements. Please take a look at this blog,

How accessibility features work in Web AppBuilder apps 

This ArcNew article also has some resources,

At Esri, Accessibility Is a User-Focused Endeavor 

Hope this helps,

View solution in original post

2 Replies
DerekLaw
Esri Esteemed Contributor

Hi Steve,

> ... Section 508 / Accessibility with the off the shelf web map products?

I think your best option would be to use Web AppBuilder for ArcGIS to help you deploy a web app that supports accessibility requirements. Please take a look at this blog,

How accessibility features work in Web AppBuilder apps 

This ArcNew article also has some resources,

At Esri, Accessibility Is a User-Focused Endeavor 

Hope this helps,

SteveCole
Frequent Contributor

Perfect, thank you Derek!