Rotating labels

11-16-2019 11:32 AM
DavidStockdale
New Contributor II

I have a point dataset of streets in a housing development, which I overlaid on the world imagery basemap. There is a street name field for labeling. I need to have the north-south street labels oriented vertically, 90 degrees, and the east-west street labels oriented horizontally, 0 degrees. Is there an Arcade expression that will do that? Thank you.

17 Replies
Stefan_Thorn
Occasional Contributor II

Hi @XanderBakker  The rotation of labels is simple in ArcGIS Pro and even with Arcade the appearance can be manipulated but all this effort is useless after publishing to AGOL you left with plain labels.

Publishing to a tile layer is not an option because the dataset contains multiple records. And after publishing to AGOL the hosted feature layer is used in a joined view to visualize a projectplanning with time slider.  

In ArcGIS Pro 2.8.3

I show highways and which lanes are closed. With an arcade expression I can give the label multiple colors related to an attribute. And the position of the label is perpendicular repeated  and aligned based on the direction of the polyline. I this situation it is important that the polylines have the same direction of the traffic flow.

Stefan_Thorn_4-1638460251961.png

Stefan_Thorn_3-1638460228028.pngStefan_Thorn_5-1638460407401.png

In ArcGIS Online

Classic Viewer 

- the arcade expression in not accepted. So why Arcade in ArcGIS pro is different from AGOL?

- in classic viewer the label can be aligned but very basic: Above, On or Below the polyline

Stefan_Thorn_8-1638461032198.png

Map Viewer

- the arcade expression in not accepted.

-  labels can cannot be aligned anymore? 

Stefan_Thorn_7-1638460966507.png

0 Kudos
XanderBakker
Esri Esteemed Contributor

Hi @Stefan_Thorn 

- the arcade expression is not accepted. So why Arcade in ArcGIS pro is different from AGOL?

- the arcade expression is not accepted.

-  labels cannot be aligned anymore? 

• Unfortunately, there are differences in Arcade versions as you can find in the version matrix: https://developers.arcgis.com/arcade/guide/version-matrix/ . In this case, it is not the version difference, but the fact that the labels in a web map currently do not support these HTML-like capabilities that allow you to change the font of parts of the label. Next week there will be an update and many changes are coming to the map viewer (not the Map Viewer Classic). There are some changes that allow you to edit HTML for the pop-up, but I do not know if this changes something for the font settings that you are using in Pro. 
  • in the Map viewer labels can be aligned already. You will find the placement options when you edit the style:
  •  XanderBakker_1-1638568045725.png
  • Not sure if the new version will have label rotation.
0 Kudos
Stefan_Thorn

Hi @XanderBakker,

Thank you for the quick reply!  I will look into the arcade matrix and looking forward to the new updates.

But unfortunately, the placement option to align the label is not available when I open Edit Style.

(I am working in a Project Delivery Site and tested in Chrome or Edge)

Stefan_Thorn_0-1638794383757.png

0 Kudos
XanderBakker
Esri Esteemed Contributor

Hi @Stefan_Thorn , 

Sorry about that, but the alignment options will only be available for point data. 

0 Kudos
Stefan_Thorn

Hi @XanderBakker 

I saw there is an minor update for labels, allow overrun and repeat labels. And unfortunately, I had to make an extra feature layer to show labels perpendicular on the line and uses overrun to show also when zoomed out. Using two label classes to show the X in red and the O in green is not an option either because these labels will overlap.

hopefully new labelling options will be available soon.

Stefan_Thorn_2-1639398603691.png

Stefan_Thorn_1-1639398421962.png

0 Kudos
BillLotz

Wow, I am looking at migrating from Enterprise to AGOL, but the limitations in AGOL are a big hurdle. I converted annotation to features since annotation is not supported. Got everything to display in ArcGIS Pro using Arcade. Labels sized and rotated based on field from the old annotation features. Unfortunately none of that stuff is supported in AGOL.

It seems the limitations are almost to great, let me know when the bugs are worked out!

PeterMacKenzie2
0 Kudos
vg11
by
New Contributor III

checking in from the future..... i guess there still isn't an option to rotate the label but there is an option to rotate the symbol...  i don't need to rotate the symbol of a circle! i must rotate and orient the position of the label. i thought AGOL was created to replace ArcReader, why does it lack in soooo many areas.