Rotating labels

11-16-2019 11:32 AM
DavidStockdale
New Contributor II

I have a point dataset of streets in a housing development, which I overlaid on the world imagery basemap. There is a street name field for labeling. I need to have the north-south street labels oriented vertically, 90 degrees, and the east-west street labels oriented horizontally, 0 degrees. Is there an Arcade expression that will do that? Thank you.

17 Replies
XanderBakker
Esri Esteemed Contributor

Hi David Stockdale ,

Currently there is no rotation for labels in the web map of ArcGIS Online. There is an update of the web map that is coming soon, but I haven't seen the label options yet. 

0 Kudos
AndyYang
New Contributor II

Hi @XanderBakker , does ArcGIS online map have rotating label feature now?

I still could not get my annotations rotated even I tried on the new Beta WebMap viewer.

Can ArcGIS somehow develop this feature real quick. It has been lacking this feature for at least one year according to the forum post.

0 Kudos
XanderBakker

Hi @AndyYang ,

I am sorry to tell you that I have no influence on the order of items on the backlog. I agree that it would be great to be able to rotate labels in the web map. What is your specific use case?

0 Kudos
AndyYang
New Contributor II

Hello @XanderBakker

Thanks for your reply - our use case is just displaying the civil engineering site plan on the web browser. 

It does not look very decent if those labels are either not rotated or being blocked by other layers.

XanderBakker

Hi @AndyYang 

Thanks for explaining and I noticed the image you shared below. I see why it is important to be able to rotate the labels. The Beta Map Viewer allows you to rotate the map, but to align the map rotation so that a single label aligns with the related line is not something that will work.  

0 Kudos
AndyYang
New Contributor II

Hi @XanderBakker 

Thanks for clarifying.

I am not intending to rotate the map/basemap, rather I am very keen to rotate the text labels.

Within the ArcGIS Pro software - it does have Label Properties - Rotation setting under Position tab, reading the "TxtAngle" into the Rotation Field. The outcome looks very good and that is what we want.

But this just does not work after publishing onto Esri Webmap.

I hope BETA Webmap development team can take this feature into consideration.

AndyYang_0-1612994657942.png

SamJakson
New Contributor III

Has there been any update on this yet? Many of my customers request the ability to rotate text created with the drawing widget. Would you be able to provide me with a rough timeframe of when this will be implemented? 

AndyYang
New Contributor II

Hi @DavidStockdale 

Same here. 

I was struggling to get the text rotated.

What I did is to publish text as the vector tile layer so it will rotate as image.

but the serious problem is that they will be blocked by other feature layers on top.

Vector tile layers will be forced to sit at the bottom... so unfortunate

I am hoping Esri can quickly develop a way to resolve this...

AndyYang_0-1612922098587.png

Stefan_Thorn
Occasional Contributor II

Hi @AndyYang,

What you can do to have the labels on top (of all layers). I did something similar with wheel/edges symbols which I published as a map image layer  to show certain status on data in related tables.

left: the wheel symbols are only visible when no other features are blocking

right: the wheel symbols are visible 

Stefan_Thorn_0-1638459212821.png  Stefan_Thorn_1-1638459238161.png

1.  vector tile layer:  ' Move to the basemap'

2. then, choose 'Set as Reference Layer'

0 Kudos