Select to view content in your preferred language

Restricting Field Visibility Based on SubType

10-15-2018 09:45 AM
AheadPaving
New Contributor II

Kelly Gerrow‌,

I have seen the post this post Conditional Field display with Arcade in Pop Ups and I am wondering if the same concept can be applied to the editing pop-up that appears when creating a feature.

I have a public facing layer that needs to display two road statuses.  When the user creates a new road feature I would like to restrict field visibility to fields "a", "b", and "c".  Conversely, when the second type of road is created I'd like to restrict visibility to "x", "y", "z". Essentially making fields dependent on the subtype chosen during the editing process.

This effort is to improve user experience and ease of maintenance as this data will be ever-changing, and needs to be housed in a single layer.

After some initial research, I get the sinking feeling restricting field isn't possible in Arcade (as I originally had hoped) but more likely to be accomplished in the ArcGIS API for JavaScript.

Any insight or guidance would be greatly appreciated, and again this is for the editing pop-up, as I am already aware as to the logic and methodology to achieve this same concept referenced in above reference blog post.

Thanks in advance.

Bill

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
7 Replies
KellyGerrow
Esri Frequent Contributor

HI Bill,

This isn't possible through Arcade currently. It is possible to set up subtypes and publish them to ArcGIS Online through ArcGIS Desktop. Another option that may get you up and running is to create the data layer through Survey123. This product has a slick way of creating dependent subtypes that can be consumed across the platform.

Cascading and external selects—Survey123 for ArcGIS | ArcGIS 

https://community.esri.com/groups/survey123/blog/2015/10/22/cascading-selects-and-external-selects?s...

Let me know if this gets you up and running.

-Kelly

AheadPaving
New Contributor II

Kelly,

Thank you so much for your quick response!  The Survey123 option had crossed my mind, I will dig in and see if this will work, and let you know how I make out!

Thanks again,

Bill

0 Kudos
AheadPaving
New Contributor II

Kelly,

I just got done configuring the form when it occurred to me that Survey123 does not support polylines, unless there is something that I am not aware of in the v2.x release.

Given these limitations in Arcade and Survey123, is there a resource that you could point me towards that may be able to assist in achieving the desired goal of restricting the visibility of fields based on the subtype of a feature?

Thank you for your help,

Bill

KellyGerrow

Hi Bill,

I put together a sample of what I think you want to do from a pest inspection standpoint (with some creative actions). I built the layer in ArcGIS Pro.

http://arcg.is/1zODbm 

Can you give this a test and see if this is what you are trying to accomplish? The idea is you can pick a specific pest species to inspect and then pick from some predefined actions that are different depending on the species selected.

-Kelly

AheadPaving
New Contributor II

Kelly,

Thank you so much for passing along pest inspection web map, I found some of the domain values very entertaining!  I also apologize for the delayed response, I just assumed what I was trying to wasn't possible.

This is very similar to what I am looking to do, however, instead of restricting domain values based on sub-type, I would like to restrict the visibility of certain fields based the sub-type.  

For example, in the pest inspection web map, if you were to select "Rats" as a species this would enable you to see a text field titled "Famous Rats in Movies", however, if you were to select "Snakes" you would see a different field "Famous Snakes in Movies" and not "Famous Rats in Movies".

In reality what we are tracking is the status of road paving. As an electric and gas utility company, we are concerned with, gas main replace before the road is repaved by the township.

So if I select "Ahead of Paving" sub-type (this is a sub-type not a domain, but can be switched to a domain if need be to facilitate this capability), I only want to see "Ahead of Paving Start Date" or if I select "Moratorium" I would only be able to see "Last Paved Date" and "Moratorium End Date".

I welcome any feedback in terms of a solution or work around.

Thanks again or your help!

Best,

Bill Walsh

0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Kelly, 

I can think of several maps I have that could use the functionality in that example map.  Can you provide links to some background resources on how to configure the rules for those drop-down domains?

Thank you!

0 Kudos
KellyGerrow

Hi Bill,

Currently the two options available are to use subtypes, or cascading questions within Survey123. Subtypes, add this capability at the layer level, but there is no client that currently hides fields based on responses. Cascading questions in survey123, do hide questions based on values picked during the survey. This is done in the Survey123 app, hence the capabilities do not extend to the service layer.

You could probably work on a custom app to provide this capability, but it isn't available out of the box currently. Thanks for the detailed use case, please log an idea on the ideas site for tracking, but I will discuss this further with the larger team.

Thanks,

Kelly