Removing/Unassigning User Types

Jump to solution
02-12-2020 12:51 PM
JoelLittle1
New Contributor

I'll try to keep this short;  I am wanting to add a user to our organization, but this would make us have one more member that we have available AGOL Licensed User Types.  We another member that rarely utilizes the service (once or twice per year).  I want to keep both as part of the organization, however, there is not an option to "remove" or "unassign" a user type to free up my license to apply to the other member.  The "disable member" function only freezes the account, and does not free up any of my user licenses.  Is there a way to do this shy of deleting the inactive member and reassigning the user type to my new member?  Thanks in advance!

-JL

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
BenTurrell
Occasional Contributor III

Hey Joel Little‌,

If you have a look at the documentation here: Manage members—Portal for ArcGIS (10.7 and 10.7.1) | ArcGIS Enterprise 

You can see that disabling members is primarily done when you someone is leaving the organisation and you want to move their data without allowing them access. It then goes on to state:

Disabled members cannot sign in to the organization, consume organizational resources, create content, or administer the site. They are still members and count toward the number of users in your organization.

As such unless you delete the account they will still be counted as a named user for the purposes of licensing.

Thanks,

Ben

If this answer has helpful please mark it as helpful. If this answer solved your question please mark it as the answer to help others who have the same question.

View solution in original post

5 Replies
BenTurrell
Occasional Contributor III

Hey Joel Little‌,

If you have a look at the documentation here: Manage members—Portal for ArcGIS (10.7 and 10.7.1) | ArcGIS Enterprise 

You can see that disabling members is primarily done when you someone is leaving the organisation and you want to move their data without allowing them access. It then goes on to state:

Disabled members cannot sign in to the organization, consume organizational resources, create content, or administer the site. They are still members and count toward the number of users in your organization.

As such unless you delete the account they will still be counted as a named user for the purposes of licensing.

Thanks,

Ben

If this answer has helpful please mark it as helpful. If this answer solved your question please mark it as the answer to help others who have the same question.

CynthiaGeskes
New Contributor

Hi - I need to delete a member to allow another to be invited - however there is only a disable option in  AGOL - where do I find a delete option?

0 Kudos
azettlermann
New Contributor

So, to be clear, once you assign a user type (e.g. creator) that can never be changed unless the person is fired and their account deleted? How completely inconvenient. Classic Esri.

rwrenner_esri
Esri Contributor

As an admin, you can change user types for members of your organization at any point, and it is also possible to delete members to free up license once any content and groups they own have been reassigned ownership to another user.

For all users, following the least privileges principle is recommended. For those users whose accounts you don't want to delete, you can downgrade their user type e.g. switch them to Viewer temporarily if Creator licenses are needed elsewhere.

Dynamically allocating is a great way to ensure you're making efficient use of your resources and the options available on ArcGIS Online.

0 Kudos
StuartSmith1
New Contributor

1. Not sure if this has been covered - but when you 'Delete' the account - is it possible to use the tick box below to keep the actual username active in the public domain?

So if the username is active, then its a simpler process to then assign an organisations license to the username at a future date?

StuartSmith1_0-1706127456251.png

0 Kudos