Select to view content in your preferred language

Removing gaps between data in a dashboard serial chart?

Jump to solution
06-22-2023 09:17 AM
Labels (1)
PeterNielsen
New Contributor

Hello-

I am having an issue with a serial chart in a dashboard I am working on. I am making either a bar or a line chart that is updated by week to show the changes in the categorization of my data.

My issue is I have added in historical data that is not weekly and has inconsistent gaps.

My data currently looks like this:

10/6/2021

10/6/2022

11/1/2022

2/1/2022

5/1/2022

5/8/2022

5/15/2022

5/22/2022... and so on weekly

The chart creates huge gaps for the time when the dashboard isn't weekly, making the chart completely unreadable as a bar chart and pretty useless as a line chart.

Any help fixing this?

Tags (2)
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
DanielFox1
Esri Contributor

Hi @PeterNielsen 

Have you tried using the Connect Gaps button? Please an extract from the following documentation below:

Parse dates

"Serial charts that have parse dates enabled, and are either a line or smoothed line chart, have the option of connecting gaps caused by missing data points. In the Series tab of your serial chart's configuration, use the Connect gaps toggle button to connect or create breaks in your chart where there are missing data points such as empty values for that time period."

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
DanielFox1
Esri Contributor

Hi @PeterNielsen 

Have you tried using the Connect Gaps button? Please an extract from the following documentation below:

Parse dates

"Serial charts that have parse dates enabled, and are either a line or smoothed line chart, have the option of connecting gaps caused by missing data points. In the Series tab of your serial chart's configuration, use the Connect gaps toggle button to connect or create breaks in your chart where there are missing data points such as empty values for that time period."

0 Kudos
KevinPiraino2
New Contributor III

Hi @DanielFox1

Thanks for this information. Relating to the "Parse Dates" toggle, is there a way to parse on weeks? I have an end user that is trying to visualize data that is recorded on a weekly basis and the format of the date is Year-Week.

0 Kudos
DanielFox1
Esri Contributor

Hi @KevinPiraino2 

Reviewing the documentation linked above there does not appear to be this option for parsing by weeks. I would recommend reaching out to the Esri Ideas page to see if this suggestion has been made already or could be added. 

The parse dates focus on the following:

• Second
  • Minute
  • Hour
  • Day
  • Month
  • Year

This then expands into various combinations as you can see in the documentation. 

0 Kudos