Removing a bad link layer

Jump to solution
11-03-2016 10:20 PM
SteveCole
Frequent Contributor

I have a webmap (link) which was using a layer, published to AGOL, which is no longer available. The layer, County Boundaries, wasn't part of my uploaded content. I get an error message that the layer failed to load but I don't see any way to remove the layer from my map and replace it. It no longer shows up as a layer in the map.

What am I missing? How do I remove this so I can replace it?

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
MikeMinami
Esri Notable Contributor

So you just want to remove the layer?  Simply save your web map. The layer with the error will not be saved as it is not currently part of the map.

Thanks,

Mike

View solution in original post

8 Replies
JayantaPoddar
MVP Esteemed Contributor

How about adding the existing layers to a new web map? Then deleting the faulty web map. Then renaming the new web map with the older name.

Think Location
0 Kudos
SteveCole
Frequent Contributor

That's certainly an option but the downside to that approach is that it would break the web map's share link that I've distributed.

0 Kudos
RebeccaStrauch__GISP
MVP Emeritus

Have you tried using any of the available AGOL admin tools?

Tools · Esri/ago-admin-wiki Wiki · GitHub 

There's a few of them now, many free. I know you can changs a URL/link, but I'm not sure if they will show a layer that doesn't exist at all. But worth a try.

edit: fixed typo

SteveCole
Frequent Contributor

I think that's geared more towards situations when you have hosted layers on your account that change (at least that's what their video demonstrates). I didn't get the impression that this was a tool to repair items within a webmap. In my situation, I've added a layer to my map (through AGOL's Find Layers search interface) that is no longer publicly available.

I would be dumbfounded if this is actually an oversight on ESRI's part. I mean, *NOBODY* out there has had 3rd party data links break in their web apps?

0 Kudos
RebeccaStrauch__GISP
MVP Emeritus

It should work for changing any URL, not just hosted layers.  Here is a clip of the AGO Assistant

That tool can be accessed ArcGIS Online Assistant  and then logging into your AGL site, then pulling down the "I want to...".  Nice thing is nothing to install, and free (written as tool sample from Esri).

but I would definitely try the suggestion by mminami-esristaff  first.  sounds much simpler if it works.  

MikeMinami
Esri Notable Contributor

So you just want to remove the layer?  Simply save your web map. The layer with the error will not be saved as it is not currently part of the map.

Thanks,

Mike

SteveCole
Frequent Contributor

It turns out that it is, indeed, this simple. Sure wish the documentation would reflect this. Thanks again.

MikeMinami
Esri Notable Contributor

Yes, it doesn't appear this is documented, at least not that I can find.  I'll write up an issue to have this documented.

Thanks, Mike