Select to view content in your preferred language

Relate existing data to a user account

03-27-2023 09:32 AM
DataOfficer
Regular Contributor

Does anyone know if there is a way of linking existing data to user accounts? We have a number of staff and community users submitting data via Survey123 and Field Maps, which is then associated to their user accounts. However many of those users were active recorders with us prior to us moving to ArcGIS, and so I am wondering if there is a way to link the data to those users so that they become the 'owners' of those individual features. This would then allow them to see this data along with data now being collected in the views we have set up for just their own data.

Thanks

0 Kudos
6 Replies
David_McRitchie
Esri Contributor

If you have an ID that identifies specific users then I would recommend ensuring this aligns with their ArcGIS Online user ID. 

To do this you could run the Calculate Field tool in either ArcGIS Online or ArcGIS Pro. You would need to filter the data to take a user's old ID  and calculate this to be their ArcGIS username.

Hope that helps, please let me know if you have any questions.

David

Esri UK -Technical Support Analyst
0 Kudos
DataOfficer
Regular Contributor

Hi David,
Thanks for your reply. So each user has a unique username when they create their AGOL account. Is this what you mean by the user ID? Is this the unique key that AGOL uses to recognise ownership of features? Or is there something else working in the background?

For example, if I changed the Creator field in a feature layer from one username to another, would the second user then be able to pick up those features if the underlined settings below were toggled on?

DataOfficer_0-1680021362390.png

Thanks.
Rob

0 Kudos
David_McRitchie
Esri Contributor

Hey Rob,

Yes that is what I mean by the User ID. The Creator field is non-editable and so you would need to set up a new field for User ID. You could calculate this from the Creator Field and make edits where needed.

For sending this to individual users, it would likely be a case that the layer needs to separated out into layer views and filtered on this new ID field.

Hope that helps,

David

0 Kudos
DataOfficer
Regular Contributor

Ah ok. Thanks for the suggestion. Unfortunately thats not quite what we are after. We need a way of the user actually owning those features so that we can make use of the settings I mentioned above. I.e. making those features their own features. Do you know if there is a way to do this? Or what key is used to define actual ownership of features in AGOL?

many thanks

0 Kudos
David_McRitchie
Esri Contributor

Hey Rob,

Thank you for letting me know. I found the following technical article so this should be possible if the data is exported into ArcGIS Pro. From there we can change the fields used for the Editor settings within ArcGIS Online.

0 Kudos
DataOfficer
Regular Contributor

Hi David,

Thank you for sharing that. I will take a look and see if that meets our need.

Many thanks.

0 Kudos