Reinstating ArcGIS Online member using same email

Jump to solution
04-12-2017 02:59 AM
MichelleQuak
New Contributor II

Hi,

Just wondering, when we delete an existing member from our ArcGIS Online Organisation, is it possible to later add them back using the same email/username?

I ask about this because when higher education universities use ArcGIS Online for modules, students come and go. They may take different modules (in different semesters) that may use ArcGIS Online. We may not want to grant them perpetual access to the organisation throughout their candidature period, but only when they take the relevant modules.

Thank you,

Michelle

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
RebeccaStrauch__GISP
MVP Emeritus

I know you can have the same email for multiple users names....so I would say "yes" to the email part.

For me, if I try to re-invite a user using the option to add users where I am setting up a username and password, it increments the username so I can't reuse a name.  But I wonder if you use the option "Invite members to join using an account of their choice" if it will let you reuse the account name?   I do not know, but might be worth a try.

BTW, if you haven't looked at it yet, the ArcGIS API for Python‌ has some samples to make administering and managing users and content a little more automated.  Might be worth looking into.  There are some tech session recordings for it   E360 Video Search | Esri Videos 

View solution in original post

3 Replies
RebeccaStrauch__GISP
MVP Emeritus

I know you can have the same email for multiple users names....so I would say "yes" to the email part.

For me, if I try to re-invite a user using the option to add users where I am setting up a username and password, it increments the username so I can't reuse a name.  But I wonder if you use the option "Invite members to join using an account of their choice" if it will let you reuse the account name?   I do not know, but might be worth a try.

BTW, if you haven't looked at it yet, the ArcGIS API for Python‌ has some samples to make administering and managing users and content a little more automated.  Might be worth looking into.  There are some tech session recordings for it   E360 Video Search | Esri Videos 

KellyGerrow
Esri Frequent Contributor

rastrauch‌ is correct. You can have many usernames for a single email address but require having a unique username for each username. ArcGIS Online Trials are limited to one activation per email address.

-Kelly

0 Kudos
MichelleQuak
New Contributor II

Thanks Rebecca and Kelly, once the username is deleted, the user name becomes available for use again. So this means that I can assign the same email and username as before -- I have tested this. Thank you!