Registering Data Source on AGOL?

11-20-2019 11:42 AM
Mary_LouFlanagan
New Contributor

I am used to publishing and working on ArcGIS Server, where registering the data source is easy and there are lots of help documents available.  However, when I try to do the same for AGOL I get a warning that it is not registered and I will be copied to the server and I can find no help or information on this...  Is this even possible?  I want my data to be dynamic like I can on Server and not static.

0 Kudos
1 Reply
DerekLaw
Esri Esteemed Contributor

Hi Mary,

> However, when I try to do the same for AGOL I get a warning that it is not registered and I will be copied to the server and I can find no help or information on this...  Is this even possible?

Publishing to ArcGIS Online is not 100% the same as publishing to ArcGIS Server. ArcGIS Online does not support the concept of "data stores" like ArcGIS Server does. Hence, when you attempt to publish a web service to ArcGIS Online, it prompts you to copy the data into ArcGIS Online to create a hosted feature service.

> I want my data to be dynamic like I can on Server and not static.

Not quite certain what your workflow is, but you could simply publish your data to ArcGIS Server (as you've done before), then simply register the web service with your ArcGIS Online organization. In this way, your web layer lives in ArcGIS Online, but behind-the-scenes it is referencing the web service from your ArcGIS Server site.

Add items—ArcGIS Online Help | Documentation 

(see Add items from the web section)

Hope this helps,