Select to view content in your preferred language

"Keep track of created and updated features" Feature Layer Setting

Jump to solution
03-06-2017 01:10 PM
MaryEllen_Perko
Occasional Contributor II

Hi.  I am unable to find much information on the "Keep track of created and updated features" setting for a hosted feature layer in ArcGIS Online.  I'm looking for anything on what exactly is tracked and how it is used or can be used. 

I'd appreciate any information or a link to information in addition to the sentence or two in the ArcGIS Online help.

Thank you.

0 Kudos
11 Replies
ChrisWhitmore
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi Chad, other than the functionality I mentioned above (automatic tiles), the capability is still not yet used by esri apps to my knowledge (but certainly could be an app using it that I'm not aware). 

Here is developer documentation around the feature that should help with understanding it and get you in the right direction if you want to play around with it.

Extract Changes (Feature Service)—ArcGIS REST API: Services Directory | ArcGIS for Developers 

Cleanup Change Tracking—ArcGIS REST API: Services Directory | ArcGIS for Developers 

Cheers, 

Chris

0 Kudos
AshneyDaniel
New Contributor II

These are very poorly named. They would seem to do the exact same thing but who could tell?

"Keep track of who created and last updated features" add 4 fields to your service: Creation Date, Creator, Edit Date and Editor. These get automatically populated as edits are made. This has a similar function to enabling editor tracking on a feature class. I still can't tell what "Keep track of created and updated features" actually does.

Yes, you can disable this feature but you must manually delete those 4 fields if you don't want them any more. They'll be there but no longer get updated.

A bit of caution - enabling "Keep track of created and updated features" seems to come into conflict with editor tracking imported when you create a service from a feature class with that enabled. The editor tracking from the feature class will work (fields continue to update) until "Keep track of created and updated features" gets enabled and then they stop updating. Even if you then disable it that relationship will be broken. Ideally you should not be allowed to have both enabled because that doesn't really make sense but currently thats how it is.