Select to view content in your preferred language

Question: Microsoft SharePoint and ArcGIS Online

12-28-2022 10:26 AM
Labels (2)
Vince_ERAC
New Contributor III
Hey all,

Posting this with hopes of getting insight for those with experience utilizing SharePoint and AGO.
My organization is proposing transitioning completely to hosting files in SharePoint from a network drive (< 1 TB of data). I think SharePoint and Office 365 have great platforms to add value to the organization, but the big question I have is how that would affect automated processes with AGO.

There are a few tasks that refer to data in the drive and either upload them to our AGO site, or pull information from AGO feature layers to update things like documents and spreadsheets that live on the drive.

I do see that there is a SharePoint REST API that can likely be used to maintain these processes if the SharePoint transition happens (i.e., pulling documents from SharePoint to upload to AGO; pulling info from AGO to update items in SharePoint). However, I haven't used the API yet and don't have familiarity with how smooth that transition would be and is a knowledge gap I'd need to fill.

I am aware of the ArcGIS for SharePoint platform as well, though it doesn't seem to be able to address what's needed for the existing automated tasks. 

In addition to the actual AGO processes that would be affected by the transition to SharePoint, does anyone have experiences with the benefits or drawbacks of having an entire drive live on SharePoint as opposed to a network location?

For additional context, any geoprocessing or mapping specific files will continue to live on a separate network drive. I can't imagine that saving geodatabases, .aprx workspaces, etc. would run smoothly if those were all hosted on SharePoint as opposed to a network drive. Though with the ability to sync SharePoint with file explorer, I may be wrong.

Thanks for you time. Any advice or insight would be much appreciated!
0 Replies