Publishing Hosted Tile Package?

11-15-2018 08:12 AM
WarrenCarver1
New Contributor II

I am making a campsite collection app (Using Collector and Survey123) that will be used in wilderness areas and has to be able to be used offline. I have a hosted feature layer from Survey123 that is the campsites and it is sync-enabled and I previously had three other files that were uploaded as zipped shape files. These files were the wilderness boundaries, trails, and roads around wilderness. This prevented it from being an offline map though, so I removed them and was working on making a TPK file and hosting it instead.

I followed the instructions found here Publish hosted tile layers from files—ArcGIS Online Help | ArcGIS under Publish Large Tile Packages to create and share the package. More specifically:

1. Generate Tile Cache Tiling Scheme (I skipped this as I wanted to use the Arcgis online scheme)
  2. Manage Tile Cache (Ran fine)
  3. Export Tile Cache (Ran fine after I remembered to select Tile Package instead of Tile Cache)
  4. Share Package (Uploaded and is now in my content as expected

The first time I ran this I selected all 20 scale sizes and ended up with a massive 2.8GB TPK file. I then had troubles with the next steps

5. Go to Content > My Content (Yep, still able to do this)

6. Click your tile package to display its item details page (Yep, TPK is there and item page opens)

7. Click Publish (......publish is definitely not an option...)

Publish is not an option within my item details page and when I try to add layers to my map, the Hosted TPK does not show up. While scanning forums this last week to solve this, I think I found somewhere that said there was a 2GB limit. Because of this, I made a new TPK following the same steps but only used 16 scale sizes (didn't use the last 4 that take up the most space aka smallest scale).

This new TPK is only 56MB but still does not have a Publish option and does not appear as a layer to be added on my map. I did update the metadata for my Hosted TPK file to ensure it had all required fields and was valid. I'll attach two screenshots to help show what I'm discussing. The first (Proof1.png) is the Item Details Page of the TPK file and the second will be the map view (Proof2.png).

I would appreciate any information or assistance on what I'm doing wrong. If nothing else I know I can host the three layers instead, but the TPK file is much better as it includes labels, contour lines, and other small details. 

0 Kudos
6 Replies
JakeSkinner
Esri Esteemed Contributor

Hi Warren,

Can you share the TPK to a group and invite my user account (jskinner_CountySandbox)?  I would like to see if I am able to publish to my organization.

0 Kudos
WarrenCarver1
New Contributor II

Unfortunately I cannot. I do not have permissions to create groups and we cannot add non Forest Service employees to our groups for security. I did try sharing the group with our head Arcgis person in my office and opening it up in her account. There still wasn't a publish option or a way to add it to the map (I shared the map with her as well of course)

Sorry I can't do more on that. As a side note, I did set the Area of Interest property to a polygon layer of my required area. I was hoping this would help restrict the size of the TPK. Could this cause an issue in uploading it to Arcmap Online?

0 Kudos
rachelg_esri
Esri Contributor

Hello Warren,

What is your role in ArcGIS Online? Some roles are unable to create Tile Packages (this is also a checkbox that can be disallowed in custom roles). I'm wondering if that's why you can't publish it.

If you have a full ArcGIS Online Administrator go to your Item Details page, can they see a publish button?

Thanks!

Rachel

Esri Support Services

Rachel Guttmacher
ArcGIS Online Technology Lead
Esri Support Services
WarrenCarver1
New Contributor II

Hey Rachel,

I have the most basic role, and I have the feeling this is the issue. I did have our office's official ArcGIS employee test publishing the tpk file as well, and she didn't have the option to publish either. She might not be a full Online Administrator either though. I will check with her and see if we can check her permissions.

0 Kudos
Jeremy_Moore
MVP Alum

Why not just side load the TPK into collector and survey123? This will cut down on you AGOL credit usage and also allow the map to be accessed all the time from the internal storage on the device. If you need help with this let me know.

0 Kudos
WarrenCarver1
New Contributor II

The most honest answer is because I didn't know that was an option (I did know it was possible for Survey123, but hadn't realized the same option was available for Collector)

Doing some quick research into it, this post How To Side Load Your Own Tile Package For Offline Use?  (more specifically the response by russell_roberts-esristaff) makes it sound like this would have to be done on a device by device basis. I am trying to make the process of using this as simple as possible as not all the Users collecting the data will be technologically savvy. As such the download and begin use process needs to be straight forward and not require sharing files that must be added to the device separately.

Thank you for making me aware of this option though! It could definitely come in handy for other projects and please let me know if I'm misunderstanding the side load process.

0 Kudos