publishing data as a web map vs web layers, what are the advantages/disadvantages?

11-14-2019 12:58 AM
PersefoniKapotas
New Contributor III

I have arcgis pro maps that I would like to publish onto AGOL for use in web maps and apps.  I am curious about any obvious or not-so-obvious advantages or disadvantages of publishing each project as a web map vs publishing the various layers as web layers and then putting them into web maps in AGOL.  I would like to know from the standpoint of credit usage as well as functionality.  

Any advice will be appreciated.

0 Kudos
2 Replies
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi Persefoni Kapotas‌,

The size of the Feature Layers when publishing as a Web Map or Web Layer is the same, meaning that credits incurred for Feature Storage will also be the same. 

Understand credits—ArcGIS Online Help | Documentation 

One of the biggest differences about publishing as a Web Map is the "Split" functionality under Configuration in the Share as Web Map panel. You can split all the layers in the map into individual services here, instead of having the layers in the same Hosted Feature Service. This is especially useful if you have a Web Map with a lot of layers where only a select few are going to receive updates. 

Share a web map—ArcGIS Pro | ArcGIS Desktop 

Hope this helps ~

Peter

PersefoniKapotas
New Contributor III

Thanks so much!  That was actually very helpful.  I didn't know that I could split layers into individual services, so I was having a hard time when I wanted to update layers.