Problems with time aware feature service

01-04-2013 09:19 AM
joshuareyling1
New Contributor
Hi all and thanks in advance.

I am having a hard time getting a time aware feature service running on arcgis online.  I enable time aware on my data in arcmap, and set up the time window, but when I publish as a feature service the resulting service contains no data!  There are only 116 features, and the time slider works correctly in arcmap- the time slider even shows up in an online map with the service added- but the table for the service is empty.  Anyone else have a problem like this?
Tags (2)
17 Replies
by Anonymous User
Not applicable
Hi,

Is it possible for you to share the feature service?

Thanks,
Dhrumil
0 Kudos
joshuareyling1
New Contributor
yes, of course.

Here is the REST location:
http://services.arcgis.com/rg9AaGGWmMwctQBj/arcgis/rest/services/travel_times_AM/FeatureServer/0

and here is the service in the map viewer:
http://nfrmpo.maps.arcgis.com/home/webmap/viewer.html?services=12c02daa69274752894f67c030e9a72e

I apologize for not adding them before; I deleted the service, as my company is working with credits at the moment...

thanks much,
Joshua
0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable
Thanks Joshua. Looks like the data was not loaded at all to the feature service.
Can you share the original map document or the service definition item, under my contents on the website?
I am suspecting that there might be something specific in the data set you used, that caused the feature service to not load the data correctly.

Thanks,
Dhrumil
0 Kudos
AndrewGingerich1
New Contributor
I'm also having a hard time figure out how to do this. I can get it to work in arcmap, but I cant find the time settings in GIS when I upload it as a feature service.  I uploaded it as a zipped shapefile, just like I have for the other feature services I've created.  Is there anything different about uploading a time aware shapefile?  If so, are there some instructions some where on how to do so?

Thanks
0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable
When you publish a time aware feature service from ArcMap, the time information is passed to the server by ArcMap.
Once you publish a time aware shape file, you need to go to the items page and configure time settings to make the service time aware.
http://resources.arcgis.com/en/help/arcgisonline/index.html#//010q0000008w000000

Thanks,
Dhrumil
0 Kudos
AndrewGingerich1
New Contributor
Thanks.   That's helpful.
0 Kudos
EmmettKetchum
New Contributor
I am also having a similar problem. When I export a time aware shapefile from arcgis desktop, it doesn't continue to be time aware. It doesn't show up when I add it to arcgis online. Even when I added the exported shapefile back into Desktop, it is not time aware. Any ideas on what is causing this?
0 Kudos
KyleWalker1
New Contributor
Did anyone ever solve this original issue?  Like the original poster, when I publish a time-aware hosted feature service, my service contains no features.  When I publish the service without enabling time in ArcMap, the features do get published - so I'm wondering if it has something to do with how ArcGIS Online is publishing the time-enabled services.  Is this a bug, or is there a common step that we're missing?
PaulScipione1
New Contributor III
Same problem here.  Time -enable works fine in ArcMap, time -slider shows up in ARcgis online, but no features show up during playing or manipulation of slider.
0 Kudos