Select to view content in your preferred language

Possible to Specify Coordinate System of View Different Than Its Source?

02-13-2019 02:04 PM
SarahAnderson8
New Contributor

Is it possible to specify the GCS/PCS of a hosted feature layer VIEW (that is different the the GCS/PCS of it's source layer?)

For example, to more accurately calculate the area of polygons for features distributed throughout the United States (by filtering those features into appropriate region-specific VIEWs and assigning them the appropriate local projected coordinate system).

I've checked the online documentation for View settings, have puttered around with creating views, but - although I see we can define a spatial EXTENT - I don't see a way to specify a spatial coordinate system (different than the source).

Any help or a flat "no" would be helpful.

Thank you,

W

0 Kudos
1 Reply
KhaledHassen
Esri Contributor

This is not currently supported or even possible. A view does not have a storage and it is only a definition that references the original source data. Geometry measurements like area and length are stored with the original source data.

You can however request/query data from the view similar to the source in any projection.The returned area/length of the geometry are returned in the native spatial reference units.

In order to return the accurate area and length, you will need to query with returnGeodetic=true. This should return  accurate geodetic geometry area and length always in meters. 

Thanks

Khaled Hassen

Online Feature Service Lead

0 Kudos