Select to view content in your preferred language

Overwriting Service problems

06-11-2014 08:40 AM
larrycamp
New Contributor III
ArcGIS 10.2.1
The reason I like to use overwrite is to use the same name layer name, symbology, tags, description, etc and not have to fill out that info each time.

Trying to overwrite an existing service with 2660 features. I've changed the parameter to 3000 records. ArcMap > Share As > Service indicates successful publishing. When I try to open the features in ArcGIS Online, I get an error "Item does not exist or is inaccessible". If I open the layer from MyHostedServices in ArcMap, the layer loads into the TOC, but there are 0 records.

Am I doing something wrong in the overwriting? Is it possible overwriting just doesn't work a lot of the time?

I opened a new ArcMap session, brought in the layer again, created a new service (new tags, new parameters, description etc) and it published all 2660 features successfully.

So, why doesn't this work using "overwrite"?
Tags (2)
4 Replies
TimMinter
Regular Contributor
Similar here.  AGD 10.2.0 to AGO.  Submitted a support incident request this morning, but have not heard back beyond the robot's note.

After successfully publishing once this morning, I deleted the published service and items, made some changes in authoring, then went through the publish sequence again and got the errors below.
From ArcGIS Desktop ArcMap, I shared as a hosted feature service to our ArcGIS Online subscription.  The resulting service appears under "My Hosted Services", but when I try to add it to ArcMap, I get "Warning: Could not add the specified data object to the map.  Unable to return internet proxy for server types other than arcgis server."  When I click Details for the Features item in My Content, get "Error:  Item does not exist or is inaccessible.  Item does not exist or is inaccessible."  When I try to delete the hosted feature service from ArcMap, I get "ArcGIS Server: Error: code:400, Item does not exist in this folder.,Bad syntax in request."  When I look at the REST services directory I get "Item does not exist or is inaccessible."

After about 5.5 hours, the service became available, accessible, etc.  No suggestion of service outage in the AGO health-o-meter.
0 Kudos
larrycamp
New Contributor III
After about 5.5 hours, the service became available, accessible, etc.  No suggestion of service outage in the AGO health-o-meter.

I'll try mine again, and this time, make sure I wait 5.5 hours to check it.

If you hear back from Esri support with anything relevant, please post back.

BTW, what is the "health-o-meter"?
0 Kudos
TimMinter
Regular Contributor
Engaged with Esri on the incident, began performing trouble-shooting tests, and the error evaporated.  So, it's working properly again. 

"health-o-meter" is just the AGO Admin account > VIEW SYSTEM HEALTH > ArcGIS Online Health Dashboard grid of services and happy green checkmark status indicators.  Maybe I should initialize it as "AGO HD", or is it "AO HD" since "ArcGIS" is one word?

tim
0 Kudos
SandiPreston
New Contributor

I am currently experiencing this same problem. I open ArcGIS desktop, login and see my hosted services but I can not drag them into ArcMAP .When I attempt to i get the Error  "Could not add the specified data object to the map.  Unable to return internet proxy for server types other than arcgis server."

What can I do? I note that the previous issues/comments are from 2014... 

All good - I logged out and back in and now i can access it

0 Kudos