Overwrite Web Layer Tool Messes up ArcOnline Web Map

Jump to solution
12-17-2021 04:53 AM
SSMGroup
Occasional Contributor

When I use the "Overwrite Web Layer" tool in ArcPro, it successfully overwrites my web layer.  But when I open a map that uses the web layer, it messes up the layers.

For example:

The Parcel Layer is symbolized hollow with a white outline.

The Watersheds are symbolized hollow with a thick green outline. 

After updating, the legend looks correct, but when you look at the map, the parcels are symbolized as the watersheds and vice versa.  

Again everything appears correct in the legend, but it's incorrect on the map.  Why is this happening? What's the point of overwriting the web layer if it's going to mess up every single map that uses the web layer?  

The map I'm using was initially created maybe 2 or more years ago.  I just created a copy, did the overwrite, and everything appears correctly.  Again though, I don't understand why this would make a difference.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Stefan_Thorn
Occasional Contributor II

Hi @SSMGroup 

I hope I have described it clear.

This happens when you publish all the layers together.

After you have published and you adding a new feature layer to your project, don't reorder the sequence of the layers if you have not enabled 'Allow assignment of unique IDs for sharing web layers' in the data frame properties.

Stefan_Thorn_0-1639747450916.png

Each layer will get an unique sequence number when publisched like below (id)

Stefan_Thorn_1-1639747982020.png

If you have reordered the sequence in Pro without above settings the newly added layer will get an sequence id i.e. (2). Because you overwrite with publishing but the symbology keeps with the same id but the data behind it is then actually an other data layer.

View solution in original post

2 Replies
Stefan_Thorn
Occasional Contributor II

Hi @SSMGroup 

I hope I have described it clear.

This happens when you publish all the layers together.

After you have published and you adding a new feature layer to your project, don't reorder the sequence of the layers if you have not enabled 'Allow assignment of unique IDs for sharing web layers' in the data frame properties.

Stefan_Thorn_0-1639747450916.png

Each layer will get an unique sequence number when publisched like below (id)

Stefan_Thorn_1-1639747982020.png

If you have reordered the sequence in Pro without above settings the newly added layer will get an sequence id i.e. (2). Because you overwrite with publishing but the symbology keeps with the same id but the data behind it is then actually an other data layer.

SSMGroup
Occasional Contributor

OMG I didn't even know this setting existed!! Thank you so much!

0 Kudos