Overwrite a Feature Service used in Join Features as Hosted Feature Layer Views

Jump to solution
02-01-2019 03:57 AM
AnthonyJonesRSK
Occasional Contributor II

I recently read the article from Paul Barker titled Bring your data closer together: Save analysis results from Join Features as Hosted Feature Layer Vi.... This is a really useful feature but I'm having trouble overwriting my feature services that are used in the join, where a hosted view is created. In the post Paul mentions that "feature layers that participate in view layers with joins cannot have their schema altered and are always read-only and cannot be used offline.". Does the feature layer being read only mean that it can't be overwritten?

Whenever I try and overwrite my feature service in Pro it simply says Failed to publish web layer. I then find that the data tab for my hosted view just says Data Error. Note that when I'm trying to overwrite my feature service the schema is exactly the same.

It would be a shame if this can't be done as one of my features used in the join is updated on a weekly basis so overwriting is the best way to keep this up to date online.

Any help with this would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Anthony

38 Replies
JimmyKnowles

Kanchana, I have a need to this, so I was curious if you have experienced any negative effects from enabling sync on the dynamic join view? Does anyone know what negative repercussions could occur from doing this? Thanks.

KhaledHassen
Esri Contributor

Hi Jimmy,

Not sure why you need to enable sync on the join views?

We do not support editing of join view yet. So even though you might be able to enable sync on join views between two services, you will not be able to edit them or apply any edits from offline maps. Extracting changes from join views to offline map is not supported currently. Until it is fully supported on the server, I will not pursue sync for joined views.

Join views should be updated though without enabling sync on the join view when the source data changes.

Thanks

Khaled Hassen

0 Kudos
JimmyKnowles

Hi Khaled, thanks for your response. Here's why I'd like to enable sync on the join views. It is strictly for display, no editing. I understand that the editing takes place on the source layers. I have symbology and filters that are based on attributes that are in the join view that aren't in the source layer. If it weren't for the symbology and filters, I'd just use the source layer.

KhaledHassen
Esri Contributor

Thanks Jimmy.

>It is strictly for display, no editing.

The only issue I see here is that you will not be able to sync the offline from the join view. For instance, you will not be able to update your offline map from the joined view.

I am assuming you are creating offline from the join view. 

Thanks

Khaled

0 Kudos
JimmyKnowles

Yes, I'm creating offline map from the join view. To add some detail, the offline map will be used for editing, but on other sync-enabled layers. Are you saying that edits on the sync-enabled layers will not be able to be synced?

0 Kudos
KhaledHassen
Esri Contributor

I mean only the join view layer. All other non-join layers should be fine and be able to sync.

0 Kudos
JimmyKnowles

Great. Thanks for you help with this. I think this will meet my needs, but I'll do some testing first.

0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

No negative experiences.... Works like a charm. I wanted to edit only the other layers in the map and enable that for offline. Sync enabling the view layer for display and for capturing the information solved the issue.

0 Kudos
JimmyKnowles

Thanks for the feedback Kanchana. That's the same thing I'm looking to do. Glad it works!

0 Kudos
JimmyKnowles

Kanchana, just want to make sure I'm following the same procedure as you. I went to updateDefinition and added

{"syncEnabled": true}
Response was success and capabilities show "Query, Sync" for the feature service, but only show "Query" for the layer in the feature service. This seems to prevent me from taking the map offline. Any suggestions? I know this is an unsupported use of the join view, so understand if you can't help.

0 Kudos