Only some records from a shapefile will upload to ArcGIS Online?

Jump to solution
03-19-2020 07:03 AM
CoreyWills
New Contributor

I'm trying to upload a shapefile with 552 records to ArcGIS Online, but for some reason only 10 records will upload. I've tried it multiple times and it's the same (seemingly random) records each time. Has anyone else had this issue? What did you do about it? I'm very new to this, so I'm hoping I'm just missing something that can be easily fixed.

Thanks!

0 Kudos
13 Replies
CoreyWills
New Contributor

Thanks, Ben! You're right - the records did upload. Do you know how I get them all to show on the map? There are 551 records in total and they should fill in the entire colored area, but it looks like on about 40 of those records are showing on the map. Good to know about the legend limit - is there a possible way around that?

Best,

Corey

0 Kudos
BenTurrell
Occasional Contributor III

Corey Wills‌,

If you have a look at this page about ArcGIS Online styles you will find that you can have up to 200 unique values but it reuses the same 10 colours: Style categories—ArcGIS Online Help | Documentation 

If you swap to displaying by location only and set a common symbol you should be able to see all of them.

Thanks,

Ben

CoreyWills
New Contributor

You're right - thanks Ben! Do you know if there's any way to show more than 200 values? I want to display every municipality in SW PA and there are definitely over 200. I only have a student license - do you know if a different kind of license would allow for more values to be shown?

0 Kudos
BenTurrell
Occasional Contributor III

Corey Wills‌,

Glad the answer helped. I would recommend displaying the 200 features using the location only. Having 200 locations with different colors will make looking up what color relates to what municipality a real pain! Normally I would just use popups to allow people to interogate the data and get any information they need. Here is a rough example:

You can even use the configurable app called Media Map so that it displays it on mouse over rather than click and have the details in a pane off to the side!

Happy to discuss further if you have any other questions.

Thanks,

Ben

0 Kudos