One point in feature class disappears then reappears when zooming

01-25-2022 04:05 AM
Labels (1)
KatieSelf
New Contributor III

Hello,

I'm using a WebMap to display results from a Survey (using a public view layer). I have the layer in the map twice, once as the raw polygon and once using the 'continuous timeline' style to imitate a point layer.

The issue is that one of my data points within the feature class disappears at certain levels of zoom. It displays fine when zoomed out (e.g. near World scale) or when zoomed in (to around state/provinces level) but there's a mid-range where it disappears. This happens just for one entry, the rest of the feature set displays fine, and happens for both the polygon and 'point' layers.

I've double checked and the visible range is set to cover the maximum extent on both the webmap and in the 'Visualisation' tab of the feature, and it does seems to work for all the other points. I've also tried rebuilding the spatial indices of the private, collection layer from the survey but it didn't have any effect. 

The images show all the points displaying at the zoom out pan, and the highlighted range in which the Southerly point disappears.

Any ideas how to fix this? 

WebMap_DisappearingPoint1.pngWebMap_DisappearingPoint2.png

0 Kudos
6 Replies
RussRoberts
Esri Notable Contributor

Can you share the web map and I can take a look?

0 Kudos
KatieSelf
New Contributor III

Here's a link to the webmap:
https://www.arcgis.com/apps/mapviewer/index.html?webmap=b84880406dca4abb93cdba8499e1ccd2

It seems to happen to the layer everywhere on AGOL (in the survey display, webmaps etc...) but didn't when imported to ArcPro if that helps.

0 Kudos
RussRoberts
Esri Notable Contributor

I think the issue is with the point coming from a polygon feature and isnt a point layer itself. When you zoom out the polygon is so tiny it doesn't need to draw which causes point style being applied to the polygon not to be displayed.

0 Kudos
KatieSelf
New Contributor III

Thanks for the update Russell - that makes sense however it seems strange to me that the polygon would then 'reappear' at the higher zoom scales. Or that the issue doesn't occur in MapViewer Classic.

Ideally I'd be 'auto-generating' a point layer using centroids or similar from the polygon layer, and display the two together. Unfortunately I haven't found a way to do this on AGOL where the points will automatically update when a new entry is submitted. I know there may be a way via ArcPro but I'm not confident I could implement it without disrupting the survey which is currently live. If you have any ideas then please let me know but otherwise I may utilise MapView Classic for some outputs instead.

0 Kudos
RussRoberts
Esri Notable Contributor

Created an issue for the 4.x API hopefully have it fixed in the next update. Thanks for reporting!

KatieSelf
New Contributor III

Quick update: the problem does not persist when using MapViewer Classic, which is interesting.

0 Kudos