Select to view content in your preferred language

Notebooks outputting a csv Broken as of 10/25

Jump to solution
10-26-2023 10:05 AM
AdriannaBarton
New Contributor III

As of yesterday afternoon (3PM Mountain time) all of our notebooks that output a csv on AGOL broke. These notebooks create an output csv based off layer data. We got the same error in separate scripts for separate layers. Has anyone else seen this issue? These scripts were running perfectly as of 10/24/2023. The photo shows what is printing in the output csv instead of the actual data.

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
AdriannaBarton
New Contributor III

This issue appears to have been resolved! It is working again on my end.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
13 Replies
CodyPatterson
Regular Contributor

This is happening to myself as well. I originally thought it could have been that I was not the owner even though I'm an admin, changing owner does not change outcome. I didn't have this issue on a feature layer, just CSV access.

I was also able to replicate this by this string here, looks like any attempt to access a csv or file is futile:

item = gis.content.get("itemid")

with open(item.download(), "r") as local_item_file:
     print(pd.read_csv(local_item_file))

0 Kudos
MJBiazar
Esri Contributor

Hi @CodyPatterson is this only happening when you the script runs on a scheduled task or do you get the same results if you run your code manually in ArcGIS Notebook?

If possible, can you please share your full script so we can take a closer look and troubleshoot? 

Thanks,

MJ

0 Kudos
AdriannaBarton
New Contributor III

Hi, just want to chime in and say it might not actually have to do with the scheduling. That's the only thing mentioned in the AGOL update (https://doc.arcgis.com/en/arcgis-online/reference/whats-new.htm) for notebooks so we thought it could be related. We do still see the issue when running it manually. I can share our notebook with you, what format should I download it as? I will send it in a private message to you. 

Thanks!

MJBiazar
Esri Contributor

@AdriannaBarton thanks for sharing the additional info. After more testing we can confirm if it's related to scheduled task or there in a different issue that needs to be investigated. You can share your script as a notebook or a python file.

Thank you!

0 Kudos
AdriannaBarton
New Contributor III

Great, I just sent you a message. We've narrowed down that the issue is occurring at the "Updatedata.download" part of the script 

AdriannaBarton_0-1698352981267.png

0 Kudos
CodyPatterson
Regular Contributor

Good Morning MJ,

Thank you for the response, this is occurring both manually ran and task scheduled. This only seems to be directly affecting Notebooks that are required to read or write to CSV files stored within our AGOL content, I'll be able to forward you the results shortly. I don't mean to jump onto Adrianna's post and spew my own issues, hopefully theirs is also resolved shortly as well.

0 Kudos
MJBiazar
Esri Contributor

Good morning @CodyPatterson

Thanks for the update. We have started looking into the issue using the script that @AdriannaBarton has shared. I was able to reproduce the issue and we are currently investigating this issue. I'll make sure to share updates as we make progress in our testing. 

It would be great if you can share your script too so we have more examples to look at and try to identify the root cause of this behavior. 

Thanks! 

MJBiazar
Esri Contributor

@CodyPatterson @AdriannaBarton we've made some progress! It seems like the issue happens only if the CSV item is not shared publicly, even if you own the item. If possible, can you test with a public CSV and see if it downloads the CSV properly?

0 Kudos
CodyPatterson
Regular Contributor

Good Morning,

I was able to test with a public CSV and it did infact read without issue. I wouldn't be able to share other CSVs in this way though as some information is not able to be publicly published.

Thank you for the response so far!

0 Kudos