Not all features displaying after a join

Jump to solution
02-10-2021 12:02 PM
mguna999
New Contributor II

Hello,

I have a csv file containing 634 unique features (FIPS) that every time I attempt to join with a USA Counties layer, the resulting layer has only a random number of features joined (205, 535, 599, etc). I do a 'one to many' join from the target field = FIPS and the join field = FIPS. I can't make sense of why it is not a perfect match, and why the joined features are random. When I make this join on arcmap my joined layer has the correct 634 features displaying.

Please let me know if you have encountered this and how I can fix this issue.

Thank you!

MG

Tags (3)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
jcarlson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

The Use current map extent box is often checked by default. Perhaps that is what's going on here?

jcarlson_0-1613014696952.png

When I run an attribute join in AGOL with your CSV and the Living Atlas' USA Counties layer, I get all 634 features in the output.

jcarlson_1-1613014865958.png

Also, with a unique input CSV and a unique FIPS field in the Counties layer, you can do a one-to-one join, there's no need for a one-to-many.

- Josh Carlson
Kendall County GIS

View solution in original post

6 Replies
jcarlson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Is the USA Counties layer file-based, or a service?

- Josh Carlson
Kendall County GIS
0 Kudos
mguna999
New Contributor II

Hi Josh,

Thank you for responding, I am unfamiliar with the terms you are using. But I added the USA Counties (Generalized) layer by ESRI, through 'browse living atlas layers'.

0 Kudos
jcarlson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

File-based would be something on your local machine, like a shapefile or a geodatabase. If it's coming from elsewhere on the internet, it's a service.

It's possible that the service isn't loading every single feature, but just what's visible up to a limit? Looking at the layer, it doesn't seem like that would be the case, but it's hard to say.

Desktop clients like ArcMap can make successive requests to the service and cache the features so that all of them are available.

Is there any chance that you could share the CSV for someone else to try and replicate the problem? Or even just the list of FIPS codes, if the rest of the data is sensitive.

- Josh Carlson
Kendall County GIS
0 Kudos
mguna999
New Contributor II

Thank you for clarifying, that is very helpful.

It's hard to say if the USA counties is only loading up to a certain limit when the joins have been arbitrary in how many total features are displayed.

I have uploaded the csv being used here. The 'Total' column has been filled with fake data, the join in question was using the FIPS column as is.

Thank you,

jcarlson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

The Use current map extent box is often checked by default. Perhaps that is what's going on here?

jcarlson_0-1613014696952.png

When I run an attribute join in AGOL with your CSV and the Living Atlas' USA Counties layer, I get all 634 features in the output.

jcarlson_1-1613014865958.png

Also, with a unique input CSV and a unique FIPS field in the Counties layer, you can do a one-to-one join, there's no need for a one-to-many.

- Josh Carlson
Kendall County GIS
mguna999
New Contributor II

Wow, thank you!

It really was as simple as unchecking the box. I was able to make the join with all 634 features displayed.

Thank you so much for your time!