No option to enable pop-up windows for map in arcgis.com

06-01-2011 09:07 AM
LesleyBaker
New Contributor
I've been googling and walking through the forums, but I haven't been able to find an answer.

In arcgis.com, when I click the arrow fly-out on my layer - I am only given an option for 'Description' and nothing else, including nothing for 'Configure Pop-up'.  Directly clicking on that layer does show the legend underneath (so I know it is the deepest layer, although I've looked for the pop-up at the above layer as well).  But, if I view my map in arcgis explorer (i.e. explorer.arcgis.com), I am able to turn on pop-ups no problem. 

Is there something I'm missing?  I've tried sharing the map to a private group - but the data isn't published yet, so I can't share out the map more globally.

Thanks so much for your time.
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
17 Replies
TerryJohnson
New Contributor II
Hello Mike,

In March I was able to add a service that had the shape field hidden and I was able to use the pop up tool.  Of course, now it doesn't work and I see from this thread that the shape can't be hidden.  When did this change take place?

Also, is it as simple as making the shape field visible in the map document that is used to create the service?  We tried that and it didn't work.

Terry
Olympia, WA
TJ
0 Kudos
MikeMinami
Esri Notable Contributor
In April, we introduced the new popup window which now requires the the visible shape field. You do need to make the shape field visible in ArcMap, but you also need to restart your service, and I think refresh the REST endpoint of it, because it typically gets cached. You need to login as an admin and clear the cache.

http://<server>/arcgis/rest/admin

Thanks,

Mike
0 Kudos
TerryJohnson
New Contributor II
Mike,

Our ArcGIS Server deleted the existing service, then recreated it with the new map document (that has the shape field visible).  He said he also cleared the cache.  But we are still having the pop-up problem with this service.  Are there any issues concerning ArcGIS Server version numbers?

Terry
TJ
0 Kudos
MikeMinami
Esri Notable Contributor
Can you share the REST endpoint of this service so I can have a look at it? Or share the web map it's in?

Thanks,

Mike
0 Kudos
RobbWright
New Contributor III
Hello Mike,
Of course, now it doesn't work and I see from this thread that the shape can't be hidden.  When did this change take place?

Functions keep changing on ArcGIS.com - hoping that this goes through quickly.
"#NIM069685  Enhance ArcGIS.com with a change/update log or post to inform the users of the same "
0 Kudos
TerryJohnson
New Contributor II
Mike,

I shared it with the public.  It is called Off Channel Habitat Sites.

Terry
TJ
0 Kudos
MikeMinami
Esri Notable Contributor
Unfortunately, it appears that your service is not publicly accessible. I can't see this layer in the map:

http://dfwapolygis02/ArcGIS/rest/services/ApplicationServices/OffChannelSites/MapServer

I assumed that you are looking a popups in ArcGIS.com, but are you looking at them in ArcGIS Explorer Online?

Did you enable popups on the layer? This is another difference. Before, you could Identify on any layer without doing anything. Now, you must explicitly enable popups on the layer first. Are you able to enable popups?

One of the things I was going to check by looking at the URL above was to see if the SHAPE field showed up in the list of fields for a given sub-layer of the service. You should be able to look at the link above and inspect the information about each sublayer. Perhaps you can check if the SHAPE field is really visible.

Thanks,

Mike
0 Kudos
TerryJohnson
New Contributor II
Thanks Mike.  Found out I was using an old test service.  My IT guy had updated the production service and when I asked him if the URL for the service was the same he said yes, not knowing of course I had the old URL.  Thanks for pointing out our problem.
TJ
0 Kudos