No option to Edit map

Jump to solution
10-26-2016 10:07 AM
TrentHergenrader
New Contributor

Hello,

Two days ago I was working in ArcGIS online without a problem, experimenting to see if it met my needs for collaborative mapping projects. Beginning yesterday, the Edit option no longer appears on any map when I sign in to ArcGIS online. I have deleted maps and started over thinking that maybe I had somehow revoked my own privileges on the layer.

I even tried creating two accounts--one with Google and one with Facebook--but I'm getting the same problem where there's no Edit button. All I am trying to accomplish is dropping markers on a map. In order to do that, I need to have the Edit option. (see screenshot)

Help?

Thanks,

Trent

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
KellyGerrow
Esri Frequent Contributor

Hi Trent,

If you are signed in with a facebook or google+ account, then you are using a public account. Creating hosted feature services as you pointed to in the above post requires an organizational account. To get an organizational account, you will need to contact the administrator of your organization. Feel free to private message me with more information about your University if you need help finding the administrator.

To edit with a public account, you can create a map notes layer and add and remove features as needed.

-Kelly

View solution in original post

4 Replies
MichaelMiller2
Occasional Contributor III

You need to have a feature layer that is editable in the map before the edit option will appear. You can create an empty feature layer in your content and make it editable and then add it to you map for editing.

TrentHergenrader
New Contributor

Hi Michael,

Thank you for your reply, and I suspected something along those lines might be part of the problem. The trouble is that I can't seem to add a feature layer following these instructions:
Publish hosted feature layers—ArcGIS Online Help | ArcGIS 

In Step Two: Create ---> Feature Layer, that's not an option. I can only choose App, Map, or Scene.

I also found this blog post after googling around, but I cannot find My Hosted Data as one of the options on the developer's page: Create an Empty Feature Service for use in ArcGIS Online | Support Services Blog 

And then there's this advice, but it only applies to accounts with an organizational affiliation and thus I don't have any of those options:
How to create a hosted feature service | ArcGIS Blog 

This is frustrating because I was literally not having this problem two days ago. That's what makes me think that somehow my account isn't fully authorized now, but I have no idea how to check that either.

I am a faculty member at an institution that subscribes to ArcGIS but I'm not a member of the academic unit that has the subscription (I'm in Liberal Arts, not Computer Science.) I did not create an account using my university credentials, but I did list my school as the organization. It seems unlikely that this is the problem but I guess it's a possibility.

0 Kudos
KellyGerrow
Esri Frequent Contributor

Hi Trent,

If you are signed in with a facebook or google+ account, then you are using a public account. Creating hosted feature services as you pointed to in the above post requires an organizational account. To get an organizational account, you will need to contact the administrator of your organization. Feel free to private message me with more information about your University if you need help finding the administrator.

To edit with a public account, you can create a map notes layer and add and remove features as needed.

-Kelly

TrentHergenrader
New Contributor

Fantastic! That worked. It's weird that I don't remember taking that step before, but it's working now.

Just shot you an email with my institutional credentials. Thanks so much.

0 Kudos