No 'classify data' option for size when using the 'Types and size' drawing style

01-15-2018 02:36 AM
PaavoJantunen
New Contributor

I'm trying to use two numerical attributes for two different styles for the symbology of my map, one for color (types) and one for size with manual classes. When selecting these two attributes, smart mapping only gives one option for the drawing style: Types and size. Okay, sounds about right, so I choose it. Now my problem is that when I go to the options for the size attribute, it doesn't have the option to classify the data. It isn't even grayed out, it's simply not there (see attachments, sorry about the Finnish language version but the 'classify data' option is shown as 'luokittele aineisto' on the size options). As you can see from the screen captures, I've tried it with just one attribute using the counts and amounts (size) drawing style, and with the very same data, the size menu let's me classify the data, so it's not a problem with the data I'm using.

Is the classify data option for the size attribute missing by design when using the Type and size drawing style, or is there some kind of a bug here?

0 Kudos
7 Replies
AdrianWelsh
MVP Honored Contributor

Paavo,

Take a look at this section of this article:

https://doc.arcgis.com/en/arcgis-online/create-maps/change-style.htm#ESRI_SECTION1_195BD40347774AEDA...

the "Change Style quick reference" area. It goes through what can be done when using more than one classification type and what the limitations are. I hope this makes sense.

0 Kudos
PaavoJantunen
New Contributor

Thank you for the response.

I'm aware that smart mapping analyses the attributes and only offers the drawing styles that it sees fit. Still, the problem isn't as much in the drawing style. The Types & Size style is exactly what I want, but I can't see the logic in the 'size' menu missing the option to classify the data. Classifying the data would just give me the option to modify the legend to be more intuitive, it wouldn't change the visualization itself. I don't see the point in removing that option from the 'size' menu when using the 'Types & Size" style, when that option is there in the 'size' menu using the 'Counts and Amounts (Size)' style.

For the record, the layer I'm using here is a polygon layer. Just in case this somehow didn't affect point layers.

0 Kudos
AdrianWelsh
MVP Honored Contributor

Paavo, I'm not sure what's going on. I just made a simple point layer test file with a text attribute and three numeric attributes. I was able to use a different color scheme and 'size' based on my attributes:

I'm guessing it's because you're using a polygon feature class is why you get a limited set of options. In that earlier article, it says this:

The styling options provided for a layer are based on the type of data you are mapping. You will see different choices depending on whether your layer is composed of point, line, or polygon features. For example, you will see heat map styling options for a layer composed of points, but not for line or polygon layers.
0 Kudos
PaavoJantunen
New Contributor

I appreciate your effort, thank you for that. Your message isn't quite clear on whether or not you were able to classify the data on the 'size' attribute. Your screen capture would have me believe that the data of 'number2' is not classified but rather using the default scale. Again, I'm able to get the symbology to show just right. What I have a problem with is not having the option to classify the data and therefore not being able to modify the legend for the 'size' attribute.

0 Kudos
AdrianWelsh
MVP Honored Contributor

Hi Paavo, sorry for the delayed response. You're right that I cannot classify my 'size' data. It does use a default scale of sorts. I have some control of this scale but not full control like I do in Desktop GIS. It does not look like you can classify the symbols like you would like in ArcGIS Online.

0 Kudos
SylvainVandoolaeghe
New Contributor

Hello.

Anybody found a solution for that problem ? I'm in the same situation as @PaavoJantunen 

0 Kudos
MJBiazar
Esri Contributor

Hi,

This seems to be a known limitation. According to the documentation, Classify Data is not available with the Color and Size, Types and Size, or Predominant Category and Size styles.

Refer to the Note section in ArcGIS Online: Style numbers - Counts and Amounts (Size) https://doc.arcgis.com/en/arcgis-online/reference/style-numbers.htm

A bug (BUG-000127981)  has been logged against this behavior that is closed as a known limit, and an enhancement (ENH-000110103) that was submitted for this capability is not currently on the road map. 

Best,

MJ