New Map Viewer - where is Layer Description?

Jump to solution
09-02-2021 01:57 PM
JayJohnsonWashoeCounty
Occasional Contributor III

In Map Viewer Classic it is easy to find a layer's source via Contents, More (...), Description.  

Where is this information hidden in the New Map Viewer interface?

Jay
Washoe County GIS
Tags (1)
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
David_Brooks
MVP Regular Contributor

@JayJohnsonWashoeCounty  you can inspect the JSON and even update the code (at your risk) by using AGOL Assistant https://ago-assistant.esri.com/ 

David
..Maps with no limits..

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
9 Replies
David_Brooks
MVP Regular Contributor

@JayJohnsonWashoeCounty  Here you go: Layer Properties > Information > More Details

Brooks_SummitGeo_0-1630616879394.png

David
..Maps with no limits..
0 Kudos
JayJohnsonWashoeCounty

My Map Viewer doesn't seem to look like that?

JayJohnsonWashoeCounty_0-1630617353986.png

Jay
Washoe County GIS
0 Kudos
David_Brooks
MVP Regular Contributor

@JayJohnsonWashoeCounty that's very strange. I also tried it with a public dataset, and im definitely seeing that Information tab.  Have you tried some other layers?

David
..Maps with no limits..
0 Kudos
JayJohnsonWashoeCounty

Okay, here is an update.  There is something about that particular LAYER (or maybe how it was added to the Map) that is disabling the "Information" option in the New Map Viewer (I can see the source in Classic).  Other layers I've added DO have the "Information" section as you've shown it in New Map Viewer.  I'm looking into it further to determine what the difference is.

Jay
Washoe County GIS
0 Kudos
David_Brooks
MVP Regular Contributor

Happy to help

David
..Maps with no limits..
0 Kudos
JayJohnsonWashoeCounty

Okay, here goes...

If you add a layer to the New Map Viewer as a Web Service, you don't get the "Information" section as part of the "Properties".  

JayJohnsonWashoeCounty_0-1630619044314.png

And I don't see any way inside the New Map Viewer to see what the source of that layer is once you've added it.

Jay
Washoe County GIS
0 Kudos
David_Brooks
MVP Regular Contributor

@JayJohnsonWashoeCounty  you can inspect the JSON and even update the code (at your risk) by using AGOL Assistant https://ago-assistant.esri.com/ 

David
..Maps with no limits..
0 Kudos
JayJohnsonWashoeCounty

Sure, AGOL Assistant is okay for that (but why should you have to leave the Viewer to get that info?).  You can also open the map in the Classic Viewer where the Information functionality still works regardless of how the layer was added.

Rather than just unhelpfully dropping the Information section for a layer added as a web service, ESRI should have left it, but given the user some message "Sorry, this is a web service and our shiny new Map Viewer doesn't know anything about it".

I guess the lesson here is to try to exclusively use Add Layer and to avoid using Add if possible.

Jay
Washoe County GIS
DavidRichey
Occasional Contributor

Thanks for the research.

0 Kudos