New Map Viewer - no function to add local data

Jump to solution
07-06-2021 02:52 AM
Labels (3)
Oliver_Burdekin
Occasional Contributor II

In Map Viewer Classic it was possible to drag and drop data into a map window. So if I had data.csv saved on my desktop I could drag the file into the map window and the data would apppear in the map (providing it was correctly formatted).

Map Viewer Class also has the option to "Add layer from file". The closest I can find to this in the New Map Viewer is "add csv" which requires a URL. Local filepaths are not recognised.

I would like to confirm that the New Map Viewer has no provision to add locallly stored data to the map. I'd also like to know if this is a planned feature for a future update.

Cheers,

Oliver

Tags (3)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
RussRoberts
Esri Notable Contributor

Yup this is planned for a future update later this year. 

View solution in original post

4 Replies
RussRoberts
Esri Notable Contributor

Yup this is planned for a future update later this year. 

LindsayWithers1
Occasional Contributor

I'm not seeing the "Add layer from file" option yet in the new map viewer - is that functionality still coming or am I overlooking how to do that? 

0 Kudos
RussRoberts
Esri Notable Contributor

Its still planned to come to map viewer.

few questions:

- What layer file are you trying to add? 

- Depending on the layer type you could add by reference - have you tried that?

- Why not publish as a hosted feature layer?

LindsayWithers1
Occasional Contributor

Thanks Russell, that's great to hear. We're typically adding shapefiles, and sometimes CSV files, directly. For the shapefiles it's nice to not have to add them as hosted feature layers (assuming we don't need the functionality of a feature layer)  because of a couple minor reasons 1) sometimes we don't need or want them searchable (if they're just very specific to one web map) , and 2) it's just more items to then remember to remove from our Content lists, especially if it's data we only need in a web map for a short period of time. 

0 Kudos