Select to view content in your preferred language

New field not visible by default

Jump to solution
12-21-2017 04:17 AM
KatyAppleton1
Frequent Contributor

When adding a new field to a table in ArcGIS Online, the new field does not appear in view by default - you have to go to Show/Hide Fields and turn it on. I think this may have changed recently as I am sure it used to default to visible. Generally I am adding a field because I want to do something with it, so I need to see it!

26 Replies
KatyAppleton1
Frequent Contributor

Kelly, I don't think that is the issue. The point is that when you do add a field (to a hosted feature layer), you cannot immediately see it in the attribute table but have to manually enable display of the new field. Display of the new field should be automatic since you are generally adding a field in order to do something with it (e.g. calculate a value), and in any case it provides the user with reassurance that the field has been successfully added.

Your earlier reply indicated that this was being fixed, but the behaviour still exists. Michael was commenting on this fact.

Please can you clarify when this will be fixed? It seems like a straightforward thing.

0 Kudos
alex_friant
Frequent Contributor

If you want to add a new field, you need to add it to the source feature layer, where it will be visible and then update the view definition to make it visible in dependent hosted feature layer views.

Hi Kelly,

I'm currently attempting to this exact workflow, but despite the new field existing in the HFL, the new field is not a checkable option when trying to update the VL view definition. I'm forced to create an entirely new VL in order to see the new field. Is there currently any documentation that covers this particular workflow (i.e. Create new field in HFL, then make it available in pre-existing VL's based on that HFL)?

Thanks!

0 Kudos
MikeMinami
Esri Notable Contributor

Alex, 

Are you checking the fields definition of the view layer? The newly added field will not show up automatically in 'configure attributes' from the popup configuration because everyone can see this. You have to define it as a property of the view layer here:

Once added, you'll see it when configuring your popup

Mike

KellyGerrow
Esri Alum

Yes this issue is resolved. I just tested this through the data tab and the table in map viewer and new fields appear immediately in the table after adding the new field.

It sounds like you are still running into the issue.

Can you share the steps that you are currently following that displays the error?

What is the field type that you are adding? string, interval, double, date?

How did you publish the feature layer? file? ArcGIS Pro? empty feature service?

Thanks,

Kelly

0 Kudos
KatyAppleton1
Frequent Contributor

We must be misunderstanding each other somewhere! My steps:

• New map
  • Add a hosted feature layer - one that I created myself within ArcGIS Online by saving Map Notes and publishing the layer
  • Open Attribute Table - I can just see the ObjectID field (ideally I would like to see all fields at this point, but that's a separate issue I guess)
  • Add Field (I added a String length 256 but can replicate this with any other type)
  • I get a popup that ArcGIS is saving the layer
  • After the popup, my attribute table view is unchanged. I can still only see the ObjectID. I would like to have the table show my new field without needing to go into Show/Hide Columns

Does that clarify? Thanks!

Katy

0 Kudos
KellyGerrow
Esri Alum

Hi Katy,

This definitely helps clarify but I still can't reproduce the issue. I must be missing a small step. When you open the Attribute table, are you opening it in Map Viewer? Are you adding the new field to the point layer?

Do you add data to your feature layer prior to publishing? I see many fields when I add my field, so maybe this is where my workflow is different.

http://arcg.is/08SH0q 

Have you tried to build a layer workflow for publishing empty hosted layers? We added this in the last release which removes a step from the publishing map notes workflow.

The process is outlined in this blog:

https://www.esri.com/arcgis-blog/products/arcgis-online/announcements/creating-an-empty-feature-laye... 

-Kelly

0 Kudos
KatyAppleton1
Frequent Contributor

OK, I have come back to this after a break - sorry for the silence. Having re-tested, I have found that I have two datasets produced from (different) Map Notes, one that works fine (all attributes visible in the table by default, new field also visible immediately) and one that doesn't (attributes exist but aren't shown by default, new field must also be enabled manually). I do not know what the differences are, they were created at different times and I do not have a detailed record of the workflow.

However, the new workflow in the blog looks like it will greatly simplify things and so I will update my classes to use that. Given that, I think it would be an inefficient use of time to try and troubleshoot the other anomalous dataset (unless you are super keen!)

Thanks for your perseverance, Kelly.

Katy

Katie_Clark
MVP Regular Contributor

So, I am still having this issue. In the data view tab of the feature layer item page, I click the triple bar "options" menu and add a field. However, whenever I view the table, I have to use the "show/hide columns" option to make these new fields viewable (this applies for any field that wasn't published with the original feature layer). I have to do this step every time that I view the data table. 

Can you elaborate on what you did to resolve this? Or are you still having this issue? It seems that the bug that Esri logged is exactly the issue that I am still having, even though they have the bug marked as "resolved". 

I am using ArcGIS Online 6.3

Thanks for any insight you can provide on this!

Best,
Katie

“The goal is not simply to ‘work hard, play hard.’ The goal is to make our work and our play indistinguishable.”
- Simon Sinek
0 Kudos
KellyGerrow
Esri Alum

Hi Katherine, 

I'd suggest getting in touch with support so they can look into this issue in more detail. There was a bug but this has been resolved so you shouldn't be running into the issue. What are the specific steps that you are following to publish the feature layer and add the field.

Thanks,

Kelly

Katie_Clark
MVP Regular Contributor

Kelly,

The point feature layer that I was having trouble with is one that was published back in May, 2017. Just now I tested adding a new field with the same workflow to a point feature layer that I just published yesterday, and it worked fine! The new field remains visible in the data table without having to go to the "show/hide columns" option.

Thank you so much for your reply! It seems that the issue was specific to this particular layer, since it was published before the bug was fixed.

Cheers,

Katherine

Best,
Katie

“The goal is not simply to ‘work hard, play hard.’ The goal is to make our work and our play indistinguishable.”
- Simon Sinek
0 Kudos