Select to view content in your preferred language

Need help with an error message INVALID WEB MAP

03-03-2011 09:09 PM
MichaelPallamary
Deactivated User
I created a web map and I am trying to open it in ARGIS 10 but it will not let me.  The error message says:

"Invalid Web Map.  Web Map must have at least one layer present."

I created and inserted several layers in my map.  I created several maps and they can be found by searching "pallamary"

How can I fix this?

Thanks!
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
4 Replies
RupertEssinger
Esri Alum
Hi Mike

Sorry about the problem. ArcGIS Desktop 10 currently can't open web maps in the new updated format that we released this week. So this applies to new web maps created after 2 March 2011, or existing web maps that have been modified and saved after that date. Web maps with a last modified date of 2 March 2011 or earlier can still be opened in ArcGIS Desktop 10. This applies to web maps created in ArcGIS.com and the ArcGIS Explorer Online client.

This will be fixed in the upcoming Service Pack 2 for 10.0. It will also be available as a separate patch that can be installed over 10.0 with no SPs and over 10.0 SP1. I'll ping this thread when it is available. Note that this fix will allow web maps in the new format to be opened in ArcMap 10 but map notes drawn on top of the web map (i.e. geographic features and annotation you add to web maps using the new editable layers functionality introduced in ArcGIS.com this week) are not yet supported in ArcGIS Desktop, so they won't appear in your resulting MXD file. Support for map note features in ArcGIS Desktop is being prepared for our next release (10.1) that is currently in development. In the 10.1 release, map note feature layers in a web map will get converted into geodatabase feature classes when you open the map in ArcMap and will appear as feature layers in your MXD.

The workaround if you want to add the services used in a web map to ArcGIS Desktop 10 (or 9.3) is to go to the Details page of the web map, such as this page in the case of one of your maps, go to the Map Contents section where the services used in the web map are listed, click the link to the service you want to add, like this one, and then click 'View in ArcMap' in the ArcGIS services directory page that appears. To one add any of the ArcGIS.com basemaps into ArcMap 10, go to this page or use the File > Add Data > Add Basemap command. To add a basemap into ArcGIS Desktop 9.3, go to this page or use the File > Add Data From ArcGIS Online command.

The (very misleading) message '"Invalid Web Map. Web Map must have at least one layer present." you are seeing is what you get if you try and open a web map in the new updated format in ArcMap 10.0 without Service Pack 1 installed. If you have Service Pack 1 you'll get the message "Could not open the specified file" (still not of course what you want but arguably less misleading).

Sorry again for this issue with syncing the Desktop with Online.
0 Kudos
RupertEssinger
Esri Alum
My previous post was incorrect in that it said "This will be fixed in the upcoming Service Pack 2 for 10.0". Unfortunately we were not able to get our completed fix into the upcoming Service Pack 2 for 10.0, so you'll still encounter this issue when trying to open a web map created after March 2 2011 in ArcMap. Sorry about the issue. We hope to be releasing a fix for this for 10.0 users soon.
0 Kudos
MichaelLeski
New Contributor
So, I have the same problem.  How do I save my online maps to my computer in a format that can be used by adobe photoshop?

Thanks

Mike L
0 Kudos
MikeMinami
Esri Notable Contributor
The only thing I can think of is to do a screen capture...

Thanks,

Mike
0 Kudos