Need a simple final project idea using Python 2.7 in ArcMap.

04-29-2020 08:18 PM
ShalinR
New Contributor II

Need any simple idea that would come to your mind. It is due in a few days, but I've been battling with what to create a program on, also Im a newbie when it comes to coding, even in Python. Any help is appreciated it!

0 Kudos
13 Replies
JoeBorgione
MVP Emeritus

I think you'd do that with a .lyr file; see Creating a layer symbology file—Help | ArcGIS for Desktop not arcpy.

That should just about do it....
0 Kudos
Katie_Clark
MVP Regular Contributor

I completely agree with Joe Borgione about keeping it simple for this first assignment.

Just a personal opinion, as a novice Pythonista myself, if you get too ambitious about all the potential you can unlock with Python scripts when you're first starting out, it can be easy to get discouraged once you really get into the weeds! That's not to say that you shouldn't pursue learning more about this topic, it's incredibly rewarding and well worth the time investment if you continue your work in GIS. But...just take it one step at a time

Ok, enough of my personal opinions. Here's something that actually might be helpful regarding your symbology question. I would think that you should be able to use a Style File to help you with that.

Creating new styles—Help | ArcGIS for Desktop 

Good luck!

Best,
Katie

“The goal is not simply to ‘work hard, play hard.’ The goal is to make our work and our play indistinguishable.”
- Simon Sinek
ShalinR
New Contributor II

Thanks to both of you, I appreciate it very much. I don't think I am going to pursue my symbology tool question for this class, I think that would be something I would like to learn about in my free time so that I can use it for future classes and projects. For this project, I will just keep it very simple and use clip, buffer, etc., to do a basic project. 

0 Kudos
Katie_Clark
MVP Regular Contributor

In that case, the simplest place to start might be taking one of your assignments for the class that you had to do manually, and doing the same workflow via a script. 

Best,
Katie

“The goal is not simply to ‘work hard, play hard.’ The goal is to make our work and our play indistinguishable.”
- Simon Sinek