Select to view content in your preferred language

Need a better solution for confidential sharing online

07-22-2024 12:52 PM
IanLadd_Tourmaline
Regular Contributor

Hello,

I meant to give my feedback at the ESRI UC Closing ceremony but ran out of time.

Here is the scenario, we have an external stakeholder who needs to see a map securely, but we don't wish for them to be able to see our AGOL organization in anyway, just simply view the map, app, or story, with some level of password protection and that's it. We don't want to have to pay for someone to have a viewer account each time. We also don't want to have to share any of this information on ArcGIS Online publicly.

What is needed; some sort of password protection for sharing maps, apps, and stories for external stakeholders. They need to be able to quickly view the content and pass it along, with a password. Either a free user type in your AGOL Org, that is strictly for creating a external stakeholder accounts that are simply for viewing, maps, apps, stories with no access to the AGOL home nav page thing, and password protected; or simply an option under sharing settings for the map, app, or story, that says "Share Externally", and a tick box with password protect as an option and then enter the password and hint.

SIMPLE. I have had so many scenarios where a client would like to see a digital map quickly and I don't have the time to go through the insane hassle of setting someone up. I'd also like to share prototypes with teams before deploying and this would greatly help.

Please contact me to discuss this future as I believe this should be a top-priority item. I've been using ArcGIS in one form or another for the past 20 years. 

Tags (2)
5 Replies
clt_cabq
Frequent Contributor

I can think of a couple of different ways to achieve this, there is almost always a 'cost' involved though. I'm sure your org has a esri rep who you should be talking with to identify those kind of needs and let them help you figure out the best approach for your requirements.

0 Kudos
BrianShepard
Occasional Contributor

I used to do that pretty regularly with a Viewer account. Put the content in a Group, assign the account to the Group, and create a custom role that disables the Organization level permissions. Then just set up the account with the external user's email address and disable the account when you're finished. 

The permissions get saved in that role, which can be applied to any external user. I had separate ones for Mobile Worker, Editor, and Viewer types. It really just takes minutes to administer as needed. It's not terribly expensive, unless you need several users simultaneously.

0 Kudos
IanLadd_Tourmaline
Regular Contributor

That's our current process, we have an external viewer account role that solves that issue. The problem is we have somewhere in the range of 30 stakeholders on certain projects and managing that for a little over 50 story maps at the moment is an issue. I think password protection should be implemented in a simple to use manner.

It'd be nice if an account didn't have to have an email associated with it, so I'd be able to create those accounts and not depend on my IT team to build multiple email accounts for various groups.

0 Kudos
BrianShepard
Occasional Contributor

That's helpful context. My needs were easily met, but it'd be a nightmare with 10x the users and content.

An external sharing option that's not fully Public, similar to most file sharing solutions, would be nice. Either specifying individual viewers by email or anyone with a link can view, and with an option to set an end date.

0 Kudos
IanLadd_Tourmaline
Regular Contributor

I think that's exactly what is needed. We're running into an issue right now where we have a roles web map that we'd like anyone at the company to view on our SharePoint site, but it requires a login...... 

0 Kudos