Select to view content in your preferred language

Named Users?

07-31-2013 08:22 AM
AdamRepsher
Regular Contributor
**The Portal for ArcGIS extension software is included with
ArcGIS for Server Advanced (Enterprise or Workgroup) and is licensed and priced
based on the number of named users.

Specifically with Portal for ArcGIS deployed locally, what does the statement, "is licensed and priced based on the number of named users" mean?

Thank you,
--Adam
Tags (2)
60 Replies
MichaelRobb
Regular Contributor II

Hi Randy,

Yes, I've done that in the past several times but what you are talking about is achieved using ArcGIS Server, NOT a Federated Portal environment, which is what I was discussing and is/was the business MUST.

My quote " Thought I would inquire specifics about named users in Portal while Portal is Federated with ArcGIS Server."

Once Portal is Federated, Portal now controls authentication, not ArcGIS Server.

As for the ArcGIS Server AD being used... If the user is prompted then it also means it is not Web-teir authentication and server is/has the chance to send the prompt for any user that does not have Kerberos auth to the service through the web application. Web-Teir auth which is something id also do and have IIS handle that side of things... then ArcGIS Server either sends the visible service or 403s that service if that user doesnt have access.. that user never knows, just simply doesnt see the layer.  Done this for Oil and Gas Companies that only want to allow certain ROLES (groups) to see specific Proposed pipelines and executives to only see addtional info.

A Custom SOI is also another fine grain means of security as well... but I digress.

0 Kudos