Select to view content in your preferred language

Named Users?

07-31-2013 08:22 AM
AdamRepsher
Regular Contributor
**The Portal for ArcGIS extension software is included with
ArcGIS for Server Advanced (Enterprise or Workgroup) and is licensed and priced
based on the number of named users.

Specifically with Portal for ArcGIS deployed locally, what does the statement, "is licensed and priced based on the number of named users" mean?

Thank you,
--Adam
Tags (2)
60 Replies
PaulDavidson1
Regular Contributor

Subu:

It's a good time to answer Jack D's annual survey with these concerns.

The licensing was confusing when AGOL first came out but I kept thinking it would clear up.

I think I now mostly understand the licensing thanks to our account rep.

JamesCunningham5
New Contributor III

Very Helpful thread Gentlemen,

I've been racking my brain in order to understand this and I might just be close.

If I could lay out my situation perhaps Derek Law or some one can tell me if I'm on the right track.

I'm in a similar situation and have been charged with brainstorming some ideas to deploy a web gis platform throughout an organization, a smaller natural gas utility (office and mobile environment). I've got to present this option (among others) to a group of decision makers with little or no GIS background.

We're scheduled to upgrade to 10.3 next month and so far I've been using AGOL on a very small scale (essentially 3 users) for map sharing and some mobile data collection. We plan to deploy Portal for GIS with our new 10.3 server which will come with 5 Named Users according to our licence agreement.

We've got less than 200 employees, most of whom would benefit from having access to our GIS maps in some capacity. The vast majority would only need viewer access. For these folks I need nothing.

If I want to deploy the free Collector App in the field with my inspectors or contractors (# seasonally fluctuates between 5 and 15) , I would need Named User Accounts for these people?

If I want to share any private maps with a private Group such as the marketing dept. Any members of that private group would need a Named User Account?

Thanks, this thread has been the best resource I've found in understanding this rather convoluted licencing process.

0 Kudos
DerekLaw
Esri Esteemed Contributor

Hi James,

> We're scheduled to upgrade to 10.3 next month

Why not upgrade to 10.3.1? It's been released since May and will have bug fixes from 10.3.

> We've got less than 200 employees, most of whom would benefit from having access to our GIS maps in some capacity. The vast majority would only need viewer access. For these folks I need nothing.

Correct. You can share your Portal items with "everyone" and they will have access.

> If I want to deploy the free Collector App in the field with my inspectors or contractors (# seasonally fluctuates between 5 and 15) , I would need Named User Accounts for these people?

Correct. Using Collector for ArcGIS with a portal (whether it is ArcGIS Online or Portal for ArcGIS) requires a Named User account.

> If I want to share any private maps with a private Group such as the marketing dept. Any members of that private group would need a Named User Account?

Correct.

I would add that you get a Named User account with each license of ArcGIS for Desktop in your organization. I am not sure if you've already allocated them to work with ArcGIS Online (e.g., the 3 ArcGIS Online users you mentioned), but it may be possible to "switch" these into Named User accounts for your Portal for ArcGIS instance. Please check with your local Esri account manager.

Hope this helps,

0 Kudos
JamesCunningham5
New Contributor III

Thank you for the speedy response Derek.

We are going to 10.3.1, my mistake.

We currently have 3 AGOL licences which are entitlements from our 3 desktop licences.

As I understand it our licence agreement for server 10.3.1 will entitle us to 5 named users for Portal.

Will I need to switch the 3 AGOL licences and run Portal or AGOL to get full access to the 5 named users for portal?

0 Kudos
DerekLaw

Hi James,

> Will I need to switch the 3 AGOL licences and run Portal or AGOL to get full access to the 5 named users for portal?

You get Named User accounts with ArcGIS for Desktop, via the Desktop entitlement. These can be applied to ArcGIS Online or Portal for ArcGIS.

You also get Named User accounts with Portal for ArcGIS, which is now included with ArcGIS for Server since the 10.3 release. The # of Named User accounts will depend on the edition and level of ArcGIS for Server.

As far as I'm aware, I believe you have the option to keep your 3 ArcGIS Online Named User accounts as is and should still get the 5 Named User accounts for your Portal for ArcGIS instance - which are included with ArcGIS for Server. Or, you may be able to "switch" the 3 ArcGIS Online Named User accounts into Named User accounts that work with your Portal for ArcGIS instance instead, if you so desire. It really depends on your workflows.

Please check with your local Esri account manager for specific details.

0 Kudos
PaulDavidson1
Regular Contributor

Derek:

Thanks for taking the time to help clarify all of this.

Would you say the following is accurate?

I have put a few questions I'm not 100% on in italics :

• Consider Portal and AGOL as two separate products requiring two separate sets of licenses.

Once you do that, it's much easier to get a grip on the licensing.

• Regarding Named Users (ELA exception below), you get a 1:1 Named User license for each Desktop seat.

Doesn't matter what Desktop level you are licensing, it's 1 seat = 1 Named User.  (is this true?)

For example:

50 Advanced (ArcInfo) Concurrent seats =  50 Named Users

5 Basic (ArcView) Single Use seats = 5 Named Users

These Named Users are included in the cost of the Desktop licensing.

• Each Named User can be applied to Portal or to AGOL but not to both.

You can mix and match if you want.

Given 10 Named Users, you can assign them as X Portal and Y AGOL such that X+Y=10

i.e. A Named User license does not cross over across the two packages. (** see notes below)

• A Named User is for a Single User, there is no concept of Concurrent or Shared Named Users (**)

You can't create a generic Named User for some group of users.

If you need or want more Named Users then you buy them in packs of 5, 50 or 100

As an aside, in my mind: Unless you are having AGOL host your imagery or using it for massive geo processing, credits are an insignificant drop in the bucket.

• I assume Portal does not consume credits similar services since we're standing it all up?  True as long as we're not going out to AGOL for Geocoding or similar AGOL hosted capability.

• If you're on an ELA, all bets are off and you have to talk with your account manager.

That shouldn't really be a surprise because ELAs tend to be unique and individually negotiated.

(**) Notes:

As many things Esri, there is some flexibility in all of this.

For example, you start off using AGOL then decide you need to be using Portal.

You probably have a pretty good chance of getting your AGOL Named User licenses transferred over to Portal.

Maybe you have a lot of Named Users in a Portal setup but need a few AGOL licenses to publish open maps?  Best to be on good terms with your account rep.

The one exception to No Shared Named Users is if you are Accessing AGOL Services via custom code, say a Silverlight web site.  Then you access AGOL via a token/authentication scheme.  In a sense, your website is acting as the Named User.  This will consume credits at the normal usage.

Accessing ArcGIS Online Services | ArcGIS for Developers

Regarding: You can't create a generic Named User for some group of users.

We could argue this licensing all day, but this is what it is.

I would like to have a generic login for certain classes of mobile users.

For example, line spotter and other field workers at our Utility.

There are a lot of them, they have turn over.

But each one of them requires a separate named user account. 

C'est le Vie

===========

Does that cover the basics?  🙂

There is one area I'm still not clear on.  (Actually, I think I am clear, I just don't like it.):

The 1:1 Named User licenses are designed to be given to desktop users.

The N licenses our ELA gave us with ArcPro's introduction  can't be used for users who are strictly mobile.

These Named Users are for desktop users, for ArcPro.

DerekLaw

Hi Paul,

> Regarding Named Users (ELA exception below), you get a 1:1 Named User license for each Desktop seat. Doesn't matter what Desktop level you are licensing, it's 1 seat = 1 Named User.  (is this true?)

Correct. Please note that the ArcGIS Pro entitlement follows the Desktop level (Basic, Standard, Advanced).

> A Named User is for a Single User, there is no concept of Concurrent or Shared Named Users. You can't create a generic Named User for some group of users. ... I would like to have a generic login for certain classes of mobile users. For example, line spotter and other field workers at our Utility. There are a lot of them, they have turn over. But each one of them requires a separate named user account.

Correct. Named Users cannot be shared and thus you would need to provide each field worker with a login. On the positive side, this enables the portal (ArcGIS Online or Portal for ArcGIS) Administrator to know who contributes what content, when they last logged into the portal, etc.

> There is one area I'm still not clear on. The 1:1 Named User licenses are designed to be given to desktop users. The N licenses our ELA gave us with ArcPro's introduction  can't be used for users who are strictly mobile. These Named Users are for desktop users, for ArcPro.

Correct. The Named Users from ArcGIS for Desktop entitlements should be applied to users who are licensed to use ArcGIS for Desktop. If they were applied to the mobile users, then the ArcGIS for Desktop users would not have a Named User to login for ArcGIS Pro.

Hope this helps,

0 Kudos
PaulDavidson1
Regular Contributor

Derek:

Thanks for the verification/clarification

0 Kudos
markmcinerney4
New Contributor

Hi Derek, just to confirm my understanding of the following:

'Correct. The Named Users from ArcGIS for Desktop entitlements should be applied to users who are licensed to use ArcGIS for Desktop. If they were applied to the mobile users, then the ArcGIS for Desktop users would not have a Named User to login for ArcGIS Pro.'

This is just an administrative constraint?

i.e. If my staff are transitioning between Office and Mobile as needs require they will use their named user privileges between both use cases, i.e. they can use Desktop, Pro, and Collector on the same account?

0 Kudos
DerekLaw

Hi Mark,

> i.e. If my staff are transitioning between Office and Mobile as needs require they will use their named user privileges between both use cases, i.e. they can use Desktop, Pro, and Collector on the same account?

Correct. A Named User account can leverage all of these apps.

Hope this helps,

0 Kudos