More admin tools needed for ArcGIS Online

09-19-2014 12:18 PM
AllenRisley
Occasional Contributor II

It would help to be able to see which groups users are members of and to be able to see usage by groups. 

I am managing an org account at a university.  Students receive accounts when they enroll in a class where the faculty member uses ArcGIS Online.  Students are assigned to a "class group" so that faculty can share data and maps to the class through the group.  When I see spikes in credit usage I would like to be able to see if it is related to membership in a group - perhaps a faculty member has given an assignment that is very credit-intensive.

When we create accounts we have very few tools to help us know who the account user is after the account is created.  ArcGIS Online gives admins no way to communicate with users - there is no messaging tool and you cannot see the user's email address.  It would be helpful if there were some user database fields that would allow admins to populate information about users in addition to their first name, last name and account name. 

Tags (1)
6 Replies
PaulRoss
Esri Contributor

Allen, you can ... in July we introduced the Activity Dashboard as an app to let you do all those things and quite a bit more.  Later this year we are going to integrate it right in to ArcGIS.com.

You can get the app in the MarketPlace, here:

https://marketplace.arcgis.com/listing.html?id=643bc71aec734874ba85866b0e444a4b

-Paul-

0 Kudos
AllenRisley

Hi Paul,

I was using the Activity Dashboard in another browser tab as I composed that post. I did not see a way to identify the groups that a user belongs to. Could you give me a step-by-step?

Thanks,

Allen

Sent from my iPad

0 Kudos
PaulRoss
Esri Contributor

Hi,

Well for that part you do not need the dashboard ... try this:

- Login to ArcGIS Online

- at the top click on my organization

- find the person on the list you want to view their groups, and click on the gear icon to the right

- click on the gear and select view groups

That should do it.

-Paul-

0 Kudos
AllenRisley

I already knew that I could find group membership that way. I was hoping there was a way to get that information using the dashboard - so that the user names in the dashboard would be clickable, bringing up choices like in the My Organization area. It's pretty cumbersome having to toggle back and forth between the Activity Dashboard and My Organization to research the issues.

Sent from my iPad

0 Kudos
HeathBrackett1

Hi Allen,

I've found that it's not that difficult to script tasks your self using some of the Python tools that ESRI has made available on GitHub, especially PortalPy.  I use those tools and the ArcGIS Rest API Help.  I don't consider myself a programmer and it doesn't take much code to get specific tasks written using those resources. 

The one thing that is missing is a resource on how to access credit usage through the ArcGIS REST API.  It is not listed in the Help documents.  When will the ArcGIS REST API Help be updated to include access to credit usage?

Heath   

NeillJobe

Go get Admin Tools for ArcGIS Online on the Marketplace.. There are more Admin Tools there than you ever thought you needed.

Neill

0 Kudos