Map Viewer Symbology: Using two fields with arcade

11-09-2023 08:42 AM
Labels (3)
leahmaps
Occasional Contributor II

hello!

I am hoping someone might have a solution/workaround to this. I want to be able to use two (non-numeric) fields to dictate symbology in AGOL. Initially, I tried an arcade expression like the one seen in this article, however, doing this with two text fields acts like it works in the viewer, but ends up returning an error.

Method of writing an arcade expression for two fields, which does not workMethod of writing an arcade expression for two fields, which does not work

Followed by:

warning error after trying to use the expressionwarning error after trying to use the expression

Which inevitably means that this does not work.

Is there another way to write an arcade expression that returns a number based on two (text field) statuses?

I have tried a When(IIf() method along with variables for each combination of category and status, which didn't work because of booleans.

Here is a bit of information on the data I am working with:

- The two fields are

1. Issue Category which is a single select option in a survey123 web form

2. Status which was added as a field after the survey but is entered through a list/domain. The only options are open/closed.

Each issue category needs to have an open and closed status. We have set up SVG symbols with either a red or green background with an icon to identify information.

Currently, we found a workaround to set the symbology in ArcGIS Pro and then upload a web map. This is fine for now, but it limits the ability to quickly change symbology if necessary. 

leahmaps_2-1699547996304.png

If anyone has done something like this before or has any guidance, anything is appreciated!!

Thank you!

0 Kudos
2 Replies
RussRoberts
Esri Notable Contributor

This is on our roadmap to support in map viewer. Currently we will support reading in these maps styled from Pro but we dont have an authoring experience for these multifield types based renderers. 

leahmaps
Occasional Contributor II

Super! I posted this as an idea as well. https://community.esri.com/t5/arcgis-online-ideas/idea-allow-symbology-from-two-fields-when-one-or/i...

could that status change to something so that people know it might be implemented in the future?

0 Kudos