Map tour won't save with hyperlinks

Jump to solution
09-07-2018 04:06 PM
BaileyBellavance1
New Contributor

I'm making a Map Tour Story Map on my portal account, I can add points and images fine everything is working. However, when I go to add in hyperlinks into the captions of my images and save the map, I keep getting the error "Save failed. Please try again." I thought this might be due to improperly formatted html, but I copy and pasted the exact html code provided by Esri in the help section of the story map (provided at the bottom of this post) and even that wouldn't let me save the map. The hyperlinks works, I'm just not able to save the Story Map if I have any hyperlinks in the captions. Any help would be appreciated!

<a href="http://storymaps.esri.com/" style="color:yellow" target="_blank">StoryMaps Website</a>

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
RupertEssinger
Frequent Contributor

Hi Bailey

Sorry about the issue.

Could you confirm that you are using ArcGIS Enterprise Portal, and not ArcGIS Online. On ArcGIS Online it works OK. If you are using an Enterprise Portal do you happen to know the version number and the behind-the-scenes data store type?

Can you also confirm that your Story Map Tour is built by uploading images directly into the Builder (as opposed to using, say, Flickr images or referencing them via URLs? If you are using image upload, could you also confirm that if you don't include any HTML tags in your captions, you can save your Story Map Tour successfully, and that it is only the addition of the HTML that causes the prob?

I can reproduce this issue on a couple of ArcGIS Enterprise Portal test accounts too (10.5.1 and 10.6).

It's not related to the HTTP/HTTPS protocol used in your link. On the Portals I can reproduce this on, it happens when thetour is built by uploading images directly into the Builder. It's not an issue if the tour is built using Flickr images or any other workflow. When you choose the option for images to be uploaded directly into the Story Map Tour builder, the Tour app automatically creates a feature service behind the scenes to store your places and their pics. Feature services restrict what HTML can be included in their attributes (see https://links.esri.com/storymaps/story_map_tour_html_formatting_fs ) and the Story Map Tour won't let you save if you include unsupported HTML. However, the HTML that you are using is supported, so what you are trying to do should work on Portals that support creating Tours using image upload. Normally this comes up when folks try and add the hr (horizontal ruler) tag or the audio (audio embed) tag into their Story Map Tour that uses image upload. Hr and audio aren't supported in feature services, so authors have to use a different workflow to create their Map Tour if they want to use those tags. 

It works OK for me on the 10.6.1 Portal I tried.So I can use your HTML in a Story Map Tour creating using image upload on that Portal. I'm not sure if this is related to the particular behind-the-scenes data store used in that Portal compared to the others I tested and that you are using, or whether the more recent version explains why it works for me in 10.6.1.

If possible, it might be good if you could open an issue with Esri Technical Support about this and reference this Geonet. However there's not a workaround for this from what I can tell, except to create your Story Map Tour without any HTML formatting, or to use a different workflow to create your tour.

Rupert

View solution in original post

2 Replies
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

according to this you have to change http to https (I can't confirm though)

https://www.esri.com/arcgis-blog/products/arcgis-online/uncategorized/an-important-message-about-web... 

0 Kudos
RupertEssinger
Frequent Contributor

Hi Bailey

Sorry about the issue.

Could you confirm that you are using ArcGIS Enterprise Portal, and not ArcGIS Online. On ArcGIS Online it works OK. If you are using an Enterprise Portal do you happen to know the version number and the behind-the-scenes data store type?

Can you also confirm that your Story Map Tour is built by uploading images directly into the Builder (as opposed to using, say, Flickr images or referencing them via URLs? If you are using image upload, could you also confirm that if you don't include any HTML tags in your captions, you can save your Story Map Tour successfully, and that it is only the addition of the HTML that causes the prob?

I can reproduce this issue on a couple of ArcGIS Enterprise Portal test accounts too (10.5.1 and 10.6).

It's not related to the HTTP/HTTPS protocol used in your link. On the Portals I can reproduce this on, it happens when thetour is built by uploading images directly into the Builder. It's not an issue if the tour is built using Flickr images or any other workflow. When you choose the option for images to be uploaded directly into the Story Map Tour builder, the Tour app automatically creates a feature service behind the scenes to store your places and their pics. Feature services restrict what HTML can be included in their attributes (see https://links.esri.com/storymaps/story_map_tour_html_formatting_fs ) and the Story Map Tour won't let you save if you include unsupported HTML. However, the HTML that you are using is supported, so what you are trying to do should work on Portals that support creating Tours using image upload. Normally this comes up when folks try and add the hr (horizontal ruler) tag or the audio (audio embed) tag into their Story Map Tour that uses image upload. Hr and audio aren't supported in feature services, so authors have to use a different workflow to create their Map Tour if they want to use those tags. 

It works OK for me on the 10.6.1 Portal I tried.So I can use your HTML in a Story Map Tour creating using image upload on that Portal. I'm not sure if this is related to the particular behind-the-scenes data store used in that Portal compared to the others I tested and that you are using, or whether the more recent version explains why it works for me in 10.6.1.

If possible, it might be good if you could open an issue with Esri Technical Support about this and reference this Geonet. However there's not a workaround for this from what I can tell, except to create your Story Map Tour without any HTML formatting, or to use a different workflow to create your tour.

Rupert