Locator View: "Setting an extent across the 180th meridian is not supported"

12-12-2019 10:33 AM
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

When I try to create a locator view that covers the State of Alaska I get the message< "Setting an extent across the 180th meridian is not supported".

I understand that by creating a locator view we can limit ESRI World Geocoding results to a given area.  I've been able to limit results to USA which is a big help (thank you!) but I'd like to further limit results to cover the State of Alaska.  Unfortunately, when I attempt to create an extent that covers the State I get the message, "Setting an extent across the 180th meridian is not supported" and then the extent is cropped to not cross the 180th.

Are there any work-a rounds or solutions for this?  While there aren't that many occasions where it's necessary to get beyond the 180th Meridian, I don't feel comfortable implementing this without a solution that covers the whole state.  Until I can fix this we'll continue to get returns for Anchorage, Kentucky and such.

Any help would be appreciated.

Tags (1)
2 Replies
Stephanie_F
Esri Contributor

Unfortunately it is expected behavior that creating an extent which crosses the 180th meridian is unsupported. I believe that this is due to a limitation since this makes the left bound greater than the right bound. 

There is however a documented usability bug documenting this, as well as a relevant enhancement which could serve as a workaround if implemented.

• BUG-000128203: Locator View in ArcGIS Online does not allow boundary to extend over the 180th meridian.
  • ENH-000128206: Provide support for Locator Views in ArcGIS Online to use more than one bounded area to compose the locator.
RedDirt
New Contributor

Hello.

Have these been implemented or has anyone found a work around for setting an extent across the 180th meridian?  Not being able to display a live map of the entire Pacific area makes for a shoddy presentation.

Thanks.

0 Kudos