Select to view content in your preferred language

Link Hosted Layer to Vector Tiles After Initial Publishing?

09-23-2022 01:25 PM
jcarlson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

One recent addition to the AGOL / Portal system that I love is the ability to publish a hosted feature layer and a vector tile layer at the same time, in such a way that the two are linked.

If the feature layer sees significant updates, a user can go into the vector tile layer settings and rebuild the tiles with the latest data, refreshing the vector tiles in place. This is a considerable improvement over the earlier republish-and-swap workflow for updating vector tiles.

My question: if I have a hosted feature layer and a vector tile layer published from its features, but which were published before this feature was added, is there an easy way to establish that link? I have a few vector tile layers that I use all over my Portal, and I would love to refresh their content from their corresponding hosted feature layer, but I don't want to republish either, given the workflows and public viewers built on top of them.

- Josh Carlson
Kendall County GIS
2 Replies
BrantSollis2
New Contributor III

Hey Josh, 

I'm surprised that you never got any reponse or support for this post, because I have been thinking of the exact same thing.   Did you ever get anywhere with being able to do this?  

-Brant

0 Kudos
jcarlson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Sadly, no. But I've been reading some really neat articles about querying a PostGIS table directly to Mapbox Vector Tiles. We'll probably be moving some of our layers to a separate PostGIS database so that we can do that, then just connect our Portal to that DB.

https://postgis.net/docs/ST_AsMVT.html

- Josh Carlson
Kendall County GIS
0 Kudos