Layers

10-07-2011 05:37 AM
thadwester
New Contributor II
I need to display a layer bar (turn off/on and as a legend) in the embedded arcgis online map.  How is this possible?
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
10 Replies
johnywhy
New Contributor
i have the exact same question.

ideally, i'd like to use one of the pre-built templates for this, instead of api programming.

i just want my visitors to be able to turn layers on and off.

Not sure if these are called "layers". I'm talking about the external data i added to the map.

If you go to the "Content" tab in the arcgis online map editor, each external datasource is listed. Each one has a checkbox. If you uncheck the checkbox, that data is removed from the map display. That exactly what i need, but in an embedded map on my website.

thanks!
0 Kudos
johnywhy
New Contributor
0 Kudos
thadwester
New Contributor II
Yep thanks john.

just FYI the data you put into the map are called layers, the data that is already in there is called base data or base maps
0 Kudos
MikeMinami
Esri Notable Contributor
The Basic Viewer template, access from the Share button>create Web Application option when viewing the map in arcgis.com will allow you to publish a web application that allows the user of the application to turn layers on and off.

Turning layers on and off, however, is not available for the embedded map.

Thanks,

Mike
0 Kudos
johnywhy
New Contributor
The Basic Viewer template web application ... allows the user of the application to turn layers on and off.

fantastic!

are there any optional parameters or switches i can put in the url of the application?
for example, i do not want the legend to be visible when it opens.

thanks!
0 Kudos
MikeMinami
Esri Notable Contributor
Once you publish the application, you can configure it interactively and remove the legend. There will be a 'Configure app' button on the web application item page.

Alternatively, you can specify url parameters...as described here:

http://www.arcgis.com/home/item.html?id=89db99ee00834c85b3f9284d9e81c964

thanks,

Mike
0 Kudos
johnywhy
New Contributor
Once you publish the application, you can configure it interactively and remove the legend. There will be a 'Configure app' button on the web application item page.

hi mikem

i cannot find the web application item page, nor the Configure app button.

Where are they?

Thanks!
0 Kudos
MikeMinami
Esri Notable Contributor
When you publish the application the item gets saved to your "My Content". When you click on the item to view the details, you should see a Configure App button. The configure app button only appears on those applications that are configurable. Not all of the templates are configurable.

Thanks,

Mike
0 Kudos
johnywhy
New Contributor
configure app button only appears on those applications that are configurable. Not all of the templates are configurable.

Then the basic template is not configurable? It's not listed in my content.

Does the configurator give any additional options not available in the URL parameters?

Thanks!
0 Kudos