Labels are flashing/blinking in Map Viewer and Instant App

Jump to solution
03-06-2024 06:21 AM
MillionMap
New Contributor III

Ever since the Feb 2024 update, my labels are flashing/blinking in Map Viewer and Instant App.  They weren't doing this before.  I've sent a link to a coworker who doesn't see the flash/blink.  I've tried several things but the labels continue to do this.  Newly published items since the update are doing this as well.    

41 Replies
mgeorge
Esri Contributor

Hey all, I think we've narrowed this down. What appears to be happening is that for intel driver versions ~30.0.101.1191, there appears to be a driver bug where read-writes to textures are not always synchronized.

For some context, labels are allocated some texture space that denotes the state of the label. Before we actually render the labels, we first do a GPGPU pass that modifies the label state. We then use the result of this, (a texture) in another render pass which actually renders the labels. What I'm seeing is that sometimes this texture is not updated before it is used, which is fixed if I explicitly force a synchronization, e.g., by calling readPixels to flush it. This should happen implicitly however. 

In looking at the differences between 4.28 and 4.29, there appears to be a slight ordering difference resulting in the labeling state modification pass happening slightly later. Rearranging these calls appears to circumvent the issue, & we're currently looking to see if we can install a workaround for this. 

I still would highly recommend updating drivers if possible as this synchronization issue could affect other things in ways that are hard to really guess upfront. 

0 Kudos
MillionMap
New Contributor III

My IT department updated all graphics drivers.  Labels are still blinking.

0 Kudos
RussRoberts
Esri Notable Contributor

Do you know the update driver version? 

0 Kudos
MillionMap
New Contributor III

MillionMap_0-1710447711536.png

0 Kudos
mgeorge
Esri Contributor

@MillionMap that appears to be the same driver version as posted in https://community.esri.com/t5/arcgis-online-questions/labels-are-flashing-blinking-in-map-viewer-and...

Maybe the computer needs a restart? Or it's possible that the manufacturer for your device hasn't updated the intel drivers if IT is only installing those provided by the manufacturer instead o intel directly. 

The latest intel drivers for your machine be found here: https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/products/sku/203682/intel-core-i910885h-processor-16m-cache-...

The latest version is 31.0.101.2127 which came out 2/1/2024

0 Kudos
mgeorge
Esri Contributor

Also we do have a workaround for the driver bug on dev, and we are hoping to get it on /next tomorrow or Monday.

0 Kudos
mgeorge
Esri Contributor

For those who are experiencing the flickering, do you still see here? with: https://bsvensson.github.io/various-tests/compare-webmaps/webmap.html?webmap=87e7f204fd1f4595ada6260...

0 Kudos
te1945
by
New Contributor II

They are not flickering for me on this link. 

RussRoberts
Esri Notable Contributor

Thanks for checking so quickly te1945. I didnt catch this in previous posts - what version is your intel graphics driver. 

0 Kudos
te1945
by
New Contributor II

Version - 10.0.22621.3235

0 Kudos