Joining an external table to a hosted feature layer before publishing

06-21-2019 12:59 PM
SiranErysian2
New Contributor III

I have several hosted feature layers that I publish as a service. I want to join an external table to each of these feature layers which has a field with a url I want users to be able to view. I joined the table to each of the layers but after I published and viewed the layers in AGOL, the table was not attached. Does AGOL support joins? Is there another way to attach this table to each of the hosted feature layers to be visible in the Collector app that we are using these layers for? I converted the Excel table to a geodatabase table before the join process.

0 Kudos
13 Replies
LanceCole
MVP Regular Contributor

Siran,

I confirmed that creating a relationship class for each feature class to a single table does work when created from one database.  Please insure 1) you created a relationship class for each feature class to the single table 2) you may need to create a single GDB with all the needed features contained in one for this to work.  It may not work with multiple copies of the table in multiple databases.

Using the relationship classes, not the hosted feature layer view, the features and table are editable once enabled in the feature service

Database and layers

Feature 1  Feature2

0 Kudos
SiranErysian2
New Contributor III

Thank you Lance. I will be working on this hopefully this week but will stay in touch.

Siran D. Erysian, M.A., GISP,

Research Data Analyst II

Think Spatially

Department of Water Resources

3374 E. Shields Ave, Rm. A-1, Fresno, CA 93726 (559) 230-3312

Siran.Erysian@water.ca.gov

0 Kudos
LanceCole
MVP Regular Contributor

Siran Erysian,

There is third option available if you can just use AGOL and do not have to use Collector. Feature data would be editable but the table data would not. Let me know if you are interested as it will take some explaining.

0 Kudos
SiranErysian2
New Contributor III

Lance,

Just and FYI I am now only using AGOL but can’t get the table to appear for one of the 2 feature layers. I would eventually like to have everything work in Collector so I’m going to keep trying your suggestions.

Siran D. Erysian, M.A., GISP,

Research Data Analyst II

Think Spatially

Department of Water Resources

3374 E. Shields Ave, Rm. A-1, Fresno, CA 93726 (559) 230-3312

Siran.Erysian@water.ca.gov

0 Kudos