JOIN FEATURES - NESTED JOINS

06-24-2019 01:01 PM
JAVIERVARA_SANZ
Occasional Contributor II

I have hosted feature service that contains the feature layer and two related tables (table 1 and table 2), all of them created through Survey123(table 1 is related to table 2 as a nested repeat). My idea is to join the feature layer with table 1 (ONE TO MANY: feature layer globalid - table 1 parentglobalid), to create Join Feature Layer, and then join Join Feature Layer, with table 2 (ONE TO MANY: table1 globalid - table2 parentglobalid), so that I can have a flat table that can be queried in Operations Dashboard. I also need to update this table dynamically as new records are being entered or existing ones are modified.

The join analysis tool allows me to create the first join as expected, but doesn't allow me to check "Create results as hosted feature layer view" for the second. I imagine because at this point and trying to create a hosted view out a a hosted view.

Any suggestions or workarounds will be highly appreciated.

Thanks.

Javier 

0 Kudos
3 Replies
KellyGerrow
Esri Frequent Contributor

Here are the limitations of saving the results as a hosted feature layer view:

You can create a hosted feature layer view from the analysis results if all of the following conditions are met:

• You are the owner of both layers.
  • Both layers are hosted feature layers.
  • You are performing an attribute join.

https://doc.arcgis.com/en/arcgis-online/analyze/join-features.htm

As both layers need to be hosted feature layer, this is what is preventing you from storing it as a view.

-Kelly

0 Kudos
acarmody
New Contributor III

Hi Kelly, will this functionality - joining 2 or more hosted views - be made available in future AGOL updates?

0 Kudos
KenMorefield
Occasional Contributor

Hi Kelly,

I think the original request was how to "flatten" a 1-many-many relationship into a single flat table.  It sounds like Javier created a Survey123 survey with a layer (parent) which then had a repeat table (child) and the repeat table had a nested repeat table (grandchild).  So you end up with relationships 3 layers deep.  Now he wants to flatten it all out into a single layer that can be used in Operations Dashboard, while updating dynamically if any of the underlying data changes.  I too, would be very curious to know if this is possible.  I can't seem to figure it out.  It would be TREMENDOUS if ESRI could ever implement this functionality, because there are so many people that have requested this.

0 Kudos