Issues adding KML file to Map Viewer

Jump to solution
03-16-2022 10:14 AM
JD1016
by
Occasional Contributor III

Hello,

I've seen one other posting that was made some time ago regarding this issue but there was no resolution.

I am attempting to add a KML file to a Map Viewer web map and received the following somewhat "cryptic" message "Error...there was an error".  Unfortunately, not particularly helpful on the elaboration front.

However, I was able to successfully load the KML file using Map Viewer Classic but I need Map Viewer's Group Layers functionality.  Of course, I could back track, load everything in Classic, open it again using Map Viewer, and then re-do my groups but I would prefer not to employ that as a consistent work around.

Has anyone experienced this issue and, if so, is there a solution for this problem?

Thank you.

Jeff

0 Kudos
18 Replies
RussRoberts
Esri Notable Contributor

Yup so in the URL is the item id for the KML that you would use in this URL would look like this.

https://jsapi.maps.arcgis.com/sharing/rest/content/items/3e1d02d34bfc440f9a83587ac2a529df/data?f=jso...

0 Kudos
JD1016
by

Worked perfectly!!!  I've never used that tactic before, aside from using the URL of a hosted and publicly shared layer.

Thank you for hanging with me, Russell.

Jeff

0 Kudos
MaryAnne_VanZuyle
New Contributor III

This works if the kml is hosted on AGO. I have a kml from a consultant who uses non-ESRI software. I can add the kml to a Map Viewer Classic map, but it not visible when I switch to the new Map Viewer. Is this a known issue?

0 Kudos
RussRoberts
Esri Notable Contributor

Can you share the KML?

0 Kudos
RussRoberts
Esri Notable Contributor

no worries! glad to help out and its on the roadmap to support KML the same way as classic.

RussRoberts
Esri Notable Contributor

Just as a heads up this issue has been fixed and the modified URL is not required.

JD1016
by

Thank you for the follow-up, Russell.  Much appreciated!

0 Kudos
JoeBryant1

Hi Russ - at what version of ArcGIS Enterprise is this issue fixed? We are still on 10.9 as we are still supporting ArcMap alongside ArcGIS Pro.

0 Kudos