Issue in New Map Viewer with group layer published to ArcGIS Server

05-03-2021 07:20 AM
Brian_Laws
Occasional Contributor

I have a group layer that I've published to our ArcGIS Server, with one of the layers referencing a point feature class from our SDE database so it will be updated with all the additions and edits that are performed.  In a web map I have this layer unchecked by default, since it has a lot of points and can make the map quite noisy.  This is how it looks like in the Classic Map Viewer content menu:

Group Classic Map Viewer.jpg

When I open the same web map  in the New Map Viewer I cannot figure out how to expand the group layer and access the sub-layers to turn the point layer on/off:

Group New Map Viewer.jpg

When I click on the group layer it just displays the properties of the layers that are checked by default, and I've looked at all the other options that are available and can't see how to access the sub-layers.

I've tried other group layers that I've published to our Sever in the New Map Viewer and I'm seeing the same issue in accessing sub-layers.  I don't have a lot of experience with the new map viewer, but me and my co-workers couldn't see a way to access the sub-layers.  Am I missing something or are group layers coming from Server not supported in the New Map Viewer?

4 Replies
gorozcos
New Contributor

I have the same issue and the only way that I was able to add the sub-layers is by adding one sub-layer at a time and then create a new group, and finally move all the sub-layers to the new created group. This seems to me very inefficient, I cannot believe ESRI is developing a tool that is going backwards in functionality and practicality.

0 Kudos
Waffle_House
Occasional Contributor II

Hi @Brian_Laws, do you know if the server layer you are trying to access in the New Map Viewer is a feature layer or a Map Image Layer?

0 Kudos
Brian_Laws
Occasional Contributor

It is a Map Image Layer.

0 Kudos
Waffle_House
Occasional Contributor II

Hi @Brian_Laws, I have tested this with a Map Image Layer and see the same thing. I think this might be expected as Map Image Layers show only being partially supported in the compatibility matrix: https://doc.arcgis.com/en/arcgis-online/reference/limitations-and-compatibility-mv.htm

Hopefully this will be fixed soon.

0 Kudos