Select to view content in your preferred language

Is there a way to to secure layers in an ArcGIS online public application using web adaptor (which would prompt iis u/p credentials for ios/windows desktop).

02-28-2018 06:49 AM
ArtieMcDonough
Emerging Contributor

When I attempted to do this the map just says "layers not available". The goal is to create an application that is open to public, but with secure layers since we cannot have unlimited viewers for our organization.

0 Kudos
10 Replies
ArtieMcDonough
Emerging Contributor

Clarification. Web adaptor is authenticated using our iis domain network accounts for our organization. It was succesfully internally becasue web adaptor recognizes our internal network. Problem is that when using an ipad it does not and there is no prompt for logging into the domain account. Just says not available. 

0 Kudos
KellyGerrow
Esri Alum

Are you able to access the Rest URL directly from the iPad?

0 Kudos
ArtieMcDonough
Emerging Contributor

Sorry for the delay. I have more details about what is going on. I am trying to create a web app in arcgis online with the layers closed to only to users with proper credentials. To answer your question, yes. I can get to the REST url once I provide the proper credentials to the authentication window. When using iphone/ipad the web app loads, but layers will not. I am receiving a message saying "The layer #### cannot be added to the map." I am not being offered that authentication window. I am able to load the map properly using an android. It appears as though it is something with iOS?

0 Kudos
KellyGerrow
Esri Alum

Are pop ups blocked on your iOS device? It sounds like you aren't being asked for credential so aren't able to access the layer.

-Kelly

0 Kudos
ArtieMcDonough
Emerging Contributor

Correct. There are no popups because there is nothing to pop up.  Expected behavior would be to get an authentication window where i can pass my credentials. I get this auth window when I am using a android. 

0 Kudos
KellyGerrow
Esri Alum

Hi Artie,

What browser are you using? How does it handle web server authentication requests? Does the login screen pop up or is it built into your application?

-Kelly

0 Kudos
ArtieMcDonough
Emerging Contributor

This is happening in multiple browsers. Safari, Chrome. This is not a custom authentication window, it should be whatever is inherent in a browser. I should see the same authentication window one sees when they view a rest endpoint that is secure. Just uses that same authentication window so you can pass credentials. 

0 Kudos
XanderBakker
Esri Esteemed Contributor

As far as I know, you are not allowed to use restricted content in a public app hosted in ArcGIS Online.To implement restricted access would require using identities (named users). You can integrate your Active Directory with ArcGIS Online.

0 Kudos
JoeSuglia
New Contributor

Artie,

I've had the same issue happening since last October. When I contacted ESRI Tech support for a solution they couldn't come up with one. Instead it was discovered as a known bug. It sounds like the same issue you're faced with. 

Defect ID: BUG-000095629
Synopsis: ArcGIS Online web maps and Web AppBuilder for ArcGIS applications do not challenge for Windows authentication on iOS devices when referencing ArcGIS for Server web-tier secured services with NT LAN Manager (NTLM) authentication.