Is there a field limit in AGOL web map layers that causes the change symbology style to no longer work?

Jump to solution
07-30-2019 07:53 AM
AdamDaily
Occasional Contributor II

I have a point layer added to a web map and I want to change the symbology and color code it by attributes. Under step 1 "Choose an attribute to show" the drop-down is blank/empty. No fields to choose from. I can not proceed to step 2 "Select a drawing style" with nothing selected in step 1. The only work around seems to be turning off most of my fields before going into the change drawing style menu.

It seems AGOL can only handle a certain number of fields in a layer to generate the attribute list before it fails. Does anyone know what that limit is? 

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
JaredPoe1
New Contributor III

Unfortunately from what I can see, there doesn't seem to be a set limit on the number of fields allowed in a feature layer as there are many factors that go into these issues. This includes not only the number of fields, but the number of total records, points/lines/polygon features, storage size of the layer, etc. 

While it is not a cutoff limit (as many layers can have many fields and work), ideally we would want hosted feature layers to have well below 100 fields in order to ensure the layer functions as expected.

I apologize that there isn't a more clear and concise answer here. Please let me know if you have any further questions and I'd be happy to look more into this.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
JaredPoe1
New Contributor III

Hi Adam,

It seems AGOL can only handle a certain number of fields in a layer to generate the attribute list before it fails. Does anyone know what that limit is? 

This very well could be the case. Do you know how many total fields there are in the layer? I am not sure if there is a specific limit, but I have run into issues myself with other AGOL functionality when too many fields are active. I think you're right with there being an issue handling the amount of fields in the drop down.

We usually recommend removing all unneeded/unused fields in the feature layer to minimize issues. If all fields are needed, have you attempted some other troubleshooting steps including clearing your browser cache, trying on a different internet browser, different computer, etc.?

Best,

Jared

0 Kudos
AdamDaily

I have tried clearing the cache, different browsers, and machines. Same result every way.

This particular layer is huge, nearly 500 fields. I certainly don't need many of those and turning off fields can work. But, it this is a known limitation and the only way to edit layer symbology in a web map, it would be nice to see a mention of that in the documentation and to know what the magic cutoff number is. 20, 50, 200, etc. With layers this big, its a lot of time deciding what fields to keep and turn off and then going back and forth wondering if the drop down menu will work now.

JaredPoe1
New Contributor III

Unfortunately from what I can see, there doesn't seem to be a set limit on the number of fields allowed in a feature layer as there are many factors that go into these issues. This includes not only the number of fields, but the number of total records, points/lines/polygon features, storage size of the layer, etc. 

While it is not a cutoff limit (as many layers can have many fields and work), ideally we would want hosted feature layers to have well below 100 fields in order to ensure the layer functions as expected.

I apologize that there isn't a more clear and concise answer here. Please let me know if you have any further questions and I'd be happy to look more into this.

0 Kudos
AdamDaily

It makes sense there are a number of factors involved. Thanks for the quick response. Good info to be aware of moving forward.