Select to view content in your preferred language

Is it possible to use real-time JSON data in ArcGIS Online?

05-30-2024 06:16 PM
JoshSaad1
Occasional Contributor II

We have a few weather stations that output real-time data to JSON hosted in a CDN.  I'd like to add this to ArcGIS Online, but it's not GeoJSON.  I'm not quite sure why you can add GeoJSON, but not JSON.

I've only found two ways to get my data into AGOL.  The first is to purchase ArcGIS Velocity, which has no problem processing the feed but is exorbitantly expensive.  The other is to use Data Pipelines, but that only updates at most once an hour and costs service credits to update.

Is there any other way that I can use my real-time data in ArcGIS Online?  I'd love to be able to add it to a dashboard to view real-time weather conditions.

0 Kudos
1 Reply
MobiusSnake
MVP Regular Contributor

A couple alternatives:

1. Create an AGOL notebook to pull the JSON into a table, or enrich it with some geometry to make it a feature layer.  This will let you run every 15 minutes, but does use credits.
  2. Use something like Azure Functions (or AWS/etc. equivalents) to do the same thing.  I think this will be cheaper than running a notebook and would let you run more frequently than 15 minutes, but requires a little bit of extra environment setup work and a little bit more code for authentication.